Red fronted zebs

Includes Species Profile.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Think it is time I did another dose of outcrossing. These sods are really not doing much as Zebs go. Great looking pairs guys.
LML
elferoz777

finchbreeder wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 09:34 Pleased to hear you are back into them. Good looking bunch - seems the mate did well and is oed a big favour in return.
I gave him first pick then sold some scrappers. I then got him 40 kgs of seed. dual benefit as he has good stock to outcross to and I'll trade him later. also a good insurance plan if mine ever hit a disaster.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
elferoz777

Jebtech95 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 10:15 Awesome looking zebs elferoz keen to trade some birds for better bloodlines?
I'm a season away from trading red lines.

I like to add big fawns, normals or aluminas to get the size n fertility up. fawns acheive both these plus the Red comes in better. being a dominant/incomplete dominant mutation it's the better way to head.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
elferoz777

Jebtech95 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 10:20 After a few years of breeding finally got some males with now black across the chest
go to the first post. they were what I got yo after 2 to 3 yrs. birds I started were like yours.
you'll get there
Jebtech95

elferoz777 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 21:23
Jebtech95 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 10:20 After a few years of breeding finally got some males with now black across the chest
go to the first post. they were what I got yo after 2 to 3 yrs. birds I started were like yours.
you'll get there
See elferoz i really dont want the orange to spread like yours i like the clean white front its the bar i have worked on just trying to concentrate on a clean looking bar of orange see started with black and managed to get the orange to replace now working on contrast and clean looking feathers my idea is a red bar pattern that would be symmetrical to wild type pattern i know it may sound weird but thats the beauty of zebs they are good to experiment with
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I get it Jeb. I am trying for the full Reds - just to do it. But what I like best are those that have red bands and above with white below. Have used the odd gray in the line for outcrossing, but try as much as possible - which is almost 100% to keep with fawn. I also find I get best fertility in the medium size birds - may be coincidence - but the biggest birds are not the most fertile. So use big show birds and medium outcrosses for best effect.
LML
Jebtech95

Yeah not after the full red front hopefully these guys will be sitting on the eggs anyday now keen to see what i get ill post some photos

On the other hand i have got a thing for red fronted painteds thats something else ive been working on.
I really think it comes down to selection to bring out the colour

Return to “Zebra”