Ive got my first baby cuban

Includes Species Profile
shnapper20

So i remove him when it is independent. ..yes. I put it in my holding aviary . Im hoping to get more young as i have another pair of cubans in a different aviary . So i put them in my holding aviary. How many young can i hold in my holding aviary and at what age can i keep them there to? The reason i ask is my young weaver cocks once they color up i have to keep in a spare aviary; due to them killing baby gouldians out of frustration.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I found you can keep them with mum and dad till, and just till, you can sex them. Then grab them out fast or Dad will/may kill them. Where I got my young cock from the breeder kept young cocks (siblings from the same batch) together in the same holding avairy without any problems till he sold them. But there were no other Cubans in with them.
LML
LML
shnapper20

Thanks finchbreeder ill keep the young hens and cocks separated and see how i go
Craig52

You can keep young cubans in a holding cage together, both sexes. So long as there isn't any brush or nesting materials or even nest boxes in the holding aviary they will be fine together imo.
It's the breeding instincts from the breeding prs that causes aggression and or death to their young in there territory. I do the same with my crimsons, all young go into one large holding aviary together. When new young are added i distract them by feeding heaps of seeding grasses or some other food they like.
I find separating the sexes at a young age causes more aggression when they are paired up in a breeding aviary together. Craig
shnapper20

thanks craig
Tiaris

Some Cuban strains will tolerate their progeny until well into the moult, others barely tolerate them until independence. I have found this to be highly heritable both ways.
shnapper20

just a follow up I bred 12 young from the original 2pr all were left with their parents until well colored up and all got along well in the holding aviary mixed with all sorts. I havent seen any aggression in any of the birds and they have been a pleasure to keep.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You have a docile strain then 🤔
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is excellent. Always good to know there are very well behaved strains out there.
LML
LML

Return to “Cuban”