Nesting in winter

Includes Species Profile
Rainman

Hey guys, bought a pair of RC Cordons about 4 weeks ago. I put them in an aviary with OB who were breeding like rabbits. Well the Cordons chased the ob off their nest and haven't let em nest since. I added another brush cylinder and now my ob have 2 eggs in the nest, not sitting on em yet and I am pretty sure my RC are nesting too. Only see 1 at a time. Got in aviary today to throw a leg ring on the female and think I know where the nest is but didn't investigate as I heard these guys don't like being disturbed.

From my research, I didn't think they would be nesting at this time of year. Should I let em go and just wait and see? Aviary has termites available at all times.

Thanks for advice.
Craig52

Orange breasts and cordons breed during our Winter which is a bit of a shame really but if they are nesting now they should be ok with the weather warming into Spring where you are.
Most birds will breed if you force them with high protein foods during Winter such as termites but in saying that,the two species you have would most likely attempt to breed in Winter without protein so it's a bit of a catch 22.
Just let them do their own thing in my opinion as young from them are pretty hardy when they fledge so long as they can get out of droughts. Craig
Rainman

Thanks mate. I have had nothing but trouble since I got this pair. They really caused mayhem in the aviary but I really love these birds so will persist with em.

Return to “Red Cheeked Cordon”