female chasing male

Includes Species Profile
karlisa

hello,sorry if this is a silly question,i haven't had these before and ive noticed that 1 female is chasing one of the males around,why would she be doing this ? he seems to be just minding his own business,is this normal behaviour? I have 5 of them,3m and 2f.
thanks!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She's a liberated lady? Sorry don;t know. Is the chasing friendly or agressive?
LML
LML
FinchLover1999

I've seen this happen especially often if its near a potential nesting spot. And I imagine the extra male may not be helping.
karlisa

it doesn't seem like friendly chasing but neither aggressive if that makes any sense,and yes I may have to even up the pairs
starman

Unless the aviary is large enough for the cock to stay clear of her, it may be just a territorial issue. I have an OBW hen that terrorizes a pair of RFPFs (twice her size).... they get no peace until they stay well clear of her space or until she retires to the nest, but when she re-emerges, it's all on again. Even when she wasn't nesting she was pretty intolerant of them although her cock pays them scant attention. For the sake of harmony it's best to make sure there are enough well-spaced alternative perches. In this case the smallest bird in the aviary is, by far, the most assertive and troublesome.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.

Return to “Orange Breasted Waxbill”