Red Siskins - Perth

Includes Species Profile
alvin

Looking forward to a better breeding season this year, one nest built so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

How many in the colony?
alvin

I have 4 cocks and 5 hens
BONE

Sorry boys but, Imo if you want to breed Red Siskins set up single prs only! You won't get the numbers of young in a colony as compared to single prs. I don't even have prs side by side but have a flight in between.
alvin

I had them as separate pairs last year and did not do well. I watched a video clip with successful breeders and other breeders asking questions and they all colony breed. I`m not sure how many years you have been breeding the red siskin, I'm sure more than me .but any input is appreciated, thanks for that, for now I have two nests, still a bit of cocks chasing each other marking their territory, so just hoping for the best.
BONE

alvin wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 20:09 I had them as separate pairs last year and did not do well. I watched a video clip with successful breeders and other breeders asking questions and they all colony breed. I`m not sure how many years you have been breeding the red siskin, I'm sure more than me .but any input is appreciated, thanks for that, for now I have two nests, still a bit of cocks chasing each other marking their territory, so just hoping for the best.
Mine are in breeding aviaries but no nests or nesting material until about another week or 2. Its not unusual to get 4 nests per pr.
Have bred Reds for 15yrs.
Last edited by BONE on 04 Sep 2017, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
elferoz777

Mine start to go down in nov to dec which is annoying.

I have had better luck with 1 or per aviary though i will say the courting and singing that went on between the fighting between a pr of red siskins and goldfinches egged bith pairs on to nest n breed.

Not my plan but a good outcome. I then separated the prs and the done even better.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Greg41

Last season was my first with Red Siskins, had two seperate pairs. Going to nest was not a problem
getting them to fledge was the big challenge. 5 out of 14 fledged, hopefully this year I am more prepared.
I have Niger, Canola , Sunflower,Finch mix, soaked seed, seeding grasses, mealworms and maggotts.
Two prs are nesting at the moment, unfortunatly we are still having cold nights so can only hope
for the best.
Cheers
GDG
BONE

Unfortunately cold nights spell disaster at 10 days! I'm on the Sunshine coast Qld and its still to cold in September at night. Mine are ready to start building, but holding of for a few more weeks. I have single prs per section with no brush at all so they cant start anything. They are whistling like maniac's atm, as are the Goldfinches!
Ian Hamilton

Perhaps off topic.... how do you think Red Siskens would go with Little Singers ?

Return to “Red Siskin”