Has anyone bred wild finches before?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
fraudster

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has bred wild finches before, namely the goldfinch and greenfinch. They are actually one of my favourites, but the only ones that I have seen for sale are those that are wild caught (very flighty, goldfinch with very red heads). I was wondering if anyone has actually bred these guys before, and if there are any tips for people like me. I have a mule project on right now (wild greenfinch cock x canary) and was wondering if anyone has any advice.

Much appreciated,

Fraudster
elferoz777

Have bred greenfinches and goldfinches but had most issues with them dying soon after fledging. Advice us watch from a far and give them space.

Much to the delight of many on here i bred a goldfinch male to a yellow siskin hen in a canary cabinet and prodcued young which i still have. Found this much easier than breeding canaries tbh and the mule or hybrid is a tough little fellah.

Good luck and prepare for heart ache but the result is worth it.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
BONE

Breeding from wild caught Goldfinches is tough but not impossible. My brother and myself have bred from wild stock but in the 2nd season after capture. The hardest thing is pairing a compatible pr but if you can, your a good chance with the with the right diet, aviary and nesting materials.
Breeding Goldfinch mules can be easy if you are lucky enough to buy the right cock. Some mate with the hen canaries others don't. Had a old Goldfinch cock that would mate with the canary hen even if you stood in front of the cabinet. Bred lots of Mules. I wish Goldfinches were as easy to breed as Red Siskins. Atm I have Red Siskins and Greenfinches with young in nest but no nesting at all from Goldfinch prs. I personally find Goldfinches the most challenging of the cup nestors.
STUART WHITING

I've bred and exhibited Goldies, Greenies and their mules for well over 30 years and at champion level for a number of years but I will say that the finches are avairy bred close rung birds,

If yer breeding Greenie mules it's far better to actually use a canary cock to a Greenie hen, this is how we mainly do it here in England as England is very big on British birds, mules and hybrids,

The cock Greenie will repetitively keep on treading canary hens but is quite difficult for the bird to actually fertilise the eggs done this way, this is why we find it much easier to use big Norwich canary cocks and pair em to big quality hen Greenies,

Breeding this particular way is the best we've experienced for many years, the youngsters then normally take after the farther and have the big Norwich type head and shoulders and normally produces a much bigger and better quality looking mule,

One needs to have a good eye for attention to detail IE, size, shape, colour and feather quality when it comes to exhibiting them :thumbup:

Be lucky
CurtisBer

I wish I could pick your brain about these things a bit more, Stuart. Do you have a website or an ebook or something else with more information on this by any chance?
Norse

I have bred wild caught goldfinch, started with six birds two paired up, killed the rest of and then took three years to breed two young then hen dropped if perch through the winter, a lot of hard work it is.
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
charlton

My mate across the road constantly breeds goldfinches and green finches in his avairy.
Regards,
Chris

Return to “Breeding Finches”