It's moulting season

Includes Species Profile.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To me the 1st blue hen is a dirty red (Craigs description of which is excellent) and the 2nd a YH. Like most people I lean towards clean or clear heads. But occassionally will use a dirty head when everything else is good. And the chicks from my clean YH cock to dirty RH hen have all had the decency to take after their dad. Hopefully the next generation will not be throwbacks.
LML
LML
STUART WHITING

Craig52 wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 09:38 Gary it's the same as a black masked hen in wild type that has the red mingled in it so that is the result when the blue mutation is added.
I don't know about you but when i was breeding gouldians i really disliked these black head birds with a patch of red or yellow in the black and always strived to have clean and full black/red and yellow head colours. The word dirty may not be the correct word but it describes it well. Cheers Craig
totally agree Craig :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What a difference a year makes. I have always disliked the "dirty" headed Gouldians. But while doing this years sort, found amoungst the young Mum has produced two that are definately "bronze" The hens orange feathers are so evenly distributed through the head as to truly be bronze. The cock is a little less even and a bit more "dirty" but such a big bold deeply coloured bird. Maybe we should try developing a "Bronze" headed Gouldian and see if it could be consistently achieved?
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”