ZEB TEMPERAMENT

Includes Species Profile.
STUART WHITING

Tiaris wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 18:55 I found the best way to enjoy Zebra finches was to house them in small (1m x 3m) aviaries with a pair each of Zebra Finches & Scarlet-chested Parrots. Both species did very well on the same diet - dry seed, sprouted seed (with a bit of softfood powder or egg & biscuit mixed in) + greens. Kept all my other finches in a separate bank of larger planted aviaries away from the Zebs.
Sounds good Graham and with hassle free husbandry and maintenance :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have never been without Zebs in my over 30 years of finch keeping. (even when having no avairys due to moving, they temporarily moved to mums)
Yes it is true that I would do better with my other finches is they did not have to compete with the Zebs. But the simple enjoyment I get out of playing genetics with them compensates for that. We all have to decide where our priorities lay. More avairys allow more choice. Enjoy whatever you choose to do. Breeding for temperament helps too. Like my little flocks of quail.
LML
LML
STUART WHITING

finchbreeder wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 21:15 I have never been without Zebs in my over 30 years of finch keeping. (even when having no avairys due to moving, they temporarily moved to mums)
Yes it is true that I would do better with my other finches is they did not have to compete with the Zebs. But the simple enjoyment I get out of playing genetics with them compensates for that. We all have to decide where our priorities lay. More avairys allow more choice. Enjoy whatever you choose to do. Breeding for temperament helps too. Like my little flocks of quail.
LML
like yer way of thinking, makes sence and I quite agree :thumbup:
CathyCraftz

Zebra finches breed really quickly. If you have just bought a male-female pair, they might start their mating rituals after a few days. Then maybe a week or two later you see the first eggs in their nest. If the eggs are all fertile they will hatch after two weeks. After about another two weeks, the babies emerge from the nest and begin flying and moulting into their adult feathers.
If you place the zebs in an aviary with other finches, they will easily outnumber the others.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Ian Hamilton

Geez I wish I could breed Zebs like you Cathy!

I purchased a pair of Black Fronted Zebs last Oct. They've had two nests in reasonably quick succession only since March, each time with clear eggs. I began to wonder if they'd ever show inclination of breeding despite bonding early in their new surrounds.

They're young birds & I'd say their environment is definitely suitable, well bushed, big aviary, compatible inmates - certainly not overstocked, fresh seed, water, greenseed, supplements, soft food, live food.

Can't seem to put a finger on it. :problem:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have had pairs that go down withing weeks of aquiring them and just keep breeding steadily. And pairs that just don't jell. With the 2nd I usually split them to different mates. But seldom have this problem as I mostly breed them in groups of each type, so they can select their own mate within a limited range. E.g. all reds and split reds together, all charcol and split charcol together. Lots of wastage, but that covers some of the seed, and I get some real nice birds.
LML
LML
CathyCraftz

My pair got up to laying eggs, but the eggs are always infertile. I torched them. They might need a lot of practice getting the eggs right or they are not fit for each other. (talking about my old pair, pairs of females definitely do not lay fertile eggs).
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Zebra”