Gouldian buddy needed

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
Jo_Issy

Hi All,
We had a lovely pair of gouldians, just on a year old when we lost our female last week.
We searched but unless we buy from interstate no one is currently selling female gouldians in the NT.
Quite worries about our male not having a companion, hoping someone can answer some questions...
Will he be ok with a female finch of s different type? I can get green, chestnut or double-barred finches up here at the moment.
I can also get a pair of star or fawn heck a if they keep him company but am worried he'll be the third wheel. Possible also 2 male zebra finches to be with him but they seem very busy.
Any help would be great.
Further to, I looked into buying interstate but wasn't sure how they travelled & the breeder I spoke to was worried as well.
Thank you,
Jo
Craig52

Jo_Issy wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 18:08 Hi All,
We had a lovely pair of gouldians, just on a year old when we lost our female last week.
We searched but unless we buy from interstate no one is currently selling female gouldians in the NT.
Quite worries about our male not having a companion, hoping someone can answer some questions...
Will he be ok with a female finch of s different type? I can get green, chestnut or double-barred finches up here at the moment.
I can also get a pair of star or fawn heck a if they keep him company but am worried he'll be the third wheel. Possible also 2 male zebra finches to be with him but they seem very busy.
Any help would be great.
Further to, I looked into buying interstate but wasn't sure how they travelled & the breeder I spoke to was worried as well.
Thank you,
Jo
Hi Jo and welcome to the Forum. You should surely be able to get another male gouldian until you can get a hen or two and then have two prs. At this time of the year your local breeders will have all their hens breeding or moulting out along with any young bred so i'm sure you will be able get some in the New Year or earlier. The lone cock should be fine on his own or depending on the size of the aviary a pr of double bars or chestnuts but not as single hens as you don't want hybrids. imo Craig :wave:
STUART WHITING

Hi jo and welcome to the Aussie finch forum :wave:

Some wise words there by Craig :thumbup:

Be lucky
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. What size is your avairy? What Craig suggests is excellent advice.
LML
LML
Jo_Issy

Thank you so much for your info.
Our cage is 800mm (h) x 800mm (w) x 500 mm (d).
I've rung around for a male, and posted on fb up here but no luck so far,will Have a look for a hen come new year.
I know our local pet shop is getting in a range of finches (not gouldians) but unless they're in pairs they are unable to confirm gender. But they'll have a pair of star & fawn hecks then various green, chestnut & double bar finches.
Thanks again
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With a cabinet style cage like that you would be best sticking to Gouldians or maybe Chestnuts. Many finches are not ideal in cabinets, but prefer avairys. And cabinets are best for pairs or trios. Enjoy.
LML
LML
Jo_Issy

Good tip thank you.
We only had in mind keeping our Gouldian paor until we lost our hen, now in a bit of a bind as our male needs a friend.
Thanks everyone for your info, very appreciated :thumbup:
STUART WHITING

Jo_Issy wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 13:43 Good tip thank you.
We only had in mind keeping our Gouldian paor until we lost our hen, now in a bit of a bind as our male needs a friend.
Thanks everyone for your info, very appreciated :thumbup:
Hope yer find what yer looking for Jo :thumbup:

Be lucky
eddierobinson

I hope you find what you are looking for Jo. I'm in Vic and have males and females colouring up but too far away
Strop

Hi Jo,
I live in Kununurra, just over the border in WA which is only a 45 min flight. I can give you a hen to help you out if you pay for the freight or I can sell you a few pairs to make it worth your while.
Cheers Strop.

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”