Mutations

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
hanabi

That is certainly an interesting Gouldian; we see nothing like that here in Japan. Single factor yellow, so we're taking about a cock, yet the yellow of the belly has the softer intensity of a hen. The intensity of the blue on the undertail coverts is unusually strong; in fact the SF yellows we have here have virtually no blue on the lower rump and tail coverts, so close to pure white. Being white breasted the back is usually a much stronger yellow hue than it is.

Here are two of my SF yellow Gouldians, white breasted and purple breasted:

From: http://www.ohmifinch.com/DB/ItemDetail.asp?item=46219

From: http://www.ohmifinch.com/DB/ItemDetail.asp?item=46577

I may be wrong but I have a feeling I've seen images of a similarly shaded Gouldian posted by someone located in South Africa. Is it possible we are witnessing a different mutation at play here? Is this shading (light yellow belly and blue undertail coverts on a white breasted cock) common in Australia? Can anyone post images of such a Gouldian?
Craig52

If you read post from the poster in South Africa we agreed that the bird was a pastel SFWB cock, pastel not referring to the pastel blue but pastel in the Euro yellow back with a white breast. Another possible name could be dilute Euro Yellow White Breasted.

Glad you worked out posting pics Hanabi. Regards Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The South African bird is very pretty. :flower:
LML
LML
mecapacte

Single. Factor pastel euro + seagreen+ yellow head+white breasted
alvin

Some of my SF cocks born this year. These both came out of the same nest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Isn't the RH male a DF?
hanabi

A red head purple breast DF Euro yellow would be a strong deep yellow, wouldn't it? Given the greeny-yellow back and the blue around the front and back of the neck of alvin's cock it looks like the typical SF yellow that we commonly see over here (compare alvin's cock to my cock in the image above; both similar back colour). All IMHO (in my humble opinion) of course.
alvin

Hi Tiarus
These 2 birds actually come from a DF pastel blue and a yellow hen, I thought I had 2 DF cocks until they started to colour. DF don't have that light blue around the head, under the beak is a very light grey. Both parents are PB. Given the combination it doesn't make sense. There were DF green back cocks in the same aviary but they wont produce this result.
hanabi

There were DF green back cocks in the same aviary but they wont produce this result.
A DF green back cock will certainly produce a SF Pastel cock when mated to your yellow hen, won't it? What are the head and breast colours of your DF green cocks and yellow hen? I assume there is a red head and a purple breast among them?
alvin

All purple breasts, DF/PB/GB paired to a yellow back hen will only produce Pastel green cocks (SF)

Return to “Mutation Finches”