benganese (going mad)

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
gouldian4

hi guys i just cant seem to get started in breeding my benganese finch. every bird ive purchased has been promised to be a female but when i get home the buggers start singing. all i want to do is breed these birds. if any body has a female benganese finch that has bred before and is deffinately a female i will pay up to 50 bucks for her
gomer

Hope you find one.did you put a add in petlink ?
http://www.petlink.com.au/Classifieds/B ... index.html
if you are really keen put in the add top dollar paid.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if only you lived closer you could take all of mine, have about 12 to give away
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
gomer

thats another option.if you could get them cheap enough, freight them.you need somone who is close to a airport and is willing to feight at a cost.usaully around $80 anywhere in Australia.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
fincher

yeh normaly around $80 but then in WA you also need a import permit from DEC and that costs $20 then also when you know when the birds are comming in you need to ring WA Quarintine to organise a inspection at the airport when you go to pick them up.
brad359

just give me a ring been a bit snowed under last week or so but have a guy in perth that has good bangos no need to pay
high price this guy is good at sexing and has the type of bid you what
gouldian4

brad that would be sweet. sorry i didnt answer your call was at dinner with the mrs mum. if you could ask him for 2 femlales that would be great or if you give me his number that would be good 2 cheers
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brad, if mine don't wind up laying eggs soon I might have to get that guys details off u 2.
I only have 7 now and 4 are definate cocks. And none of them have laid an egg in the last year. :( Maybe the couple I lost were the only hens. Will hang in there a bit longer though cause the 2 newest ones I got have made a nest.
LML
LML
Fischer

They all build nests, the little B's, some breeders in Europe use only a pair of cocks to rear what ever their fostering, but here's a method of sexing an old breeder once told me about, If you look at the underside of the lower mandible he said there is a difference between the sexes, one has a u shaped and one has a v shape..he did show me on his birds and there was a difference but I'm buggered if I can remember which is which...If you have a couple of known cocks I guess its worth a go, you'll see if its a v or u :)
cranberry

Here's another method but you need a good ear. The hens chirp with a distinct R sound. The chirp is duller than the cocks who have a higher pitched call. Apparently the upper beak has more of a curve/bump on the cocks as well. If you have good eyes and ears you should be able to pick up the differences.

Return to “Breeding Finches”