Gouldian breast colours

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Tiaris

The reason why a white-breasted and an Australian yellow (which has a white breast) produce purple breasted young when mated together is that white-breasted and australian yellow are 2 separate recessive mutations. As I have said elsewhere, each mutation acts totally independently according to its own mode of inheritence irrespective of which other mutations are also in the same animal. So 2 separate recessive mutations mated together will give normal phenotype (appearance) progeny split to both mutations.
alvin

Tiaris, am I right in saying the Euro Yellow? white breast is a different to the white breast mutation in the AY. Therefore if young produced from such a pairing would all be purple breasted and I know split Euro WB and split AY.?? Craig
split Euro Yellow WB and split AY WB - Confirmed
Purple Breasted - ???? is this normal phenotype (appearance) or not (AY WB)
mr skeeter

than god i only have normal gouldians and no mutations
Tiaris

Yes, a euro yellow bird with a white breast is a combination of 2 mutations: Euro yellow (dominant) and white-breasted (recessive) both occurring simultaneously in the same bird. The white breast which appears in Australian yellows is not a separate mutation to Australian Yellow, it is just one of the physical features (plumage consequences) of the Australian yellow mutation itself.
starman

hanabi wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 10:07
I did not say I, or anyone else, knows the positions of gene pairs or chromosomes in the genome; I don't think any finch's genome has been decoded yet like the human genome.

Cheers,

Ross
Hi Ross,
Just throwing a little trivia into the discussion.
As far as I know, to date, the Zebra Finch is the only non-commercial bird to have its genome fully mapped. It was completed earlier this decade. The domestic chicken's genome has also been completely mapped and apparently a few other commercial birds have been partly mapped, possibly for disease control and size-breeding.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Craig52

Thanks Tiaris, i did know that with experience. I really did want to put it out there as a lot of "new" breeders of gouldians have no idea of what gouldian mutations they have these days. Regards Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like and understand a fair bit of Genetics, but you guys are pushing my poor brain to its limits. :petrified:
LML
LML
hanabi

Finally found the time to revisit this thread; I've been busy with some new imported inmates and have just finished quarantine and pairing with no losses fortunately.

I carelessly wrote:
Breast color is affected at a single chromosome location, i.e., a single pair of genes.
and that basically contradicts everything I've previously written in this thread. What I meant to write is the breast colour triple purple, lilic, white, as is commonly known throughout the world is produced by a single gene location. I did not mean to suggest that other genes cannot affect breast colour, and as Tiaris correctly pointed out the Aussie yellow mutation can also affect breast colour. Alvin, it will be interesting to see if that pair continue to produce offspring with all three breast colours among them.
starman wrote:As far as I know, to date, the Zebra Finch is the only non-commercial bird to have its genome fully mapped.
Thank you for pointing that out Starman. One species completed, 200+ to go.

Cheers.
Finchy

Dare I suggest it, but there may be an epigenetic component to white versus lilac breast in some birds. That is, gene expression, as opposed to the mere presence of a gene.

For example, I have a DF Pastel cock who is now three years old. In his first year he had a pure white chest; in his second year he had a lovely pale lilac chest; this year he has returned to an almost white chest.

So his colour expression is somehow changeable. I have read others' descriptions of the same phenomenon in Gouldians. My bird is unusual, but not unique.

Any insghts hanabi, Tiaris, others?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh dear. Time to mention another posibility. Could the parents have recessive "Aussie yellow genes" that have been lurking? The reason that the Aussie yellow gene turns the back yellow and the breast white is because the Aussie yellow is actually a recessive pied. (observation of the inheritance of the gene as compared with the same type of mutation in hook bills)
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”