needing help with diamond mutations.

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
rodsbirds2

i hope this is not being lost in the aff jungle as i am new to this site.but i am trying to find out about diamond mutations,i have read a lot of info already put up, and find what i thought was fawn diamonds are more likely cinnamon. now that one is sorted i am still wanting to know what differant mating will reproduce.... i know putting cinn hen to normal bird...produces cinn hens and normals split to cinn thats all good....but
what do you get from cinn to pied.......?
........... normal to pied....?
............ split cinn to pied....?
............ split cinn to normal ..?
............and any other normal , split or pied and cinnamon crosses.
i know i am hopeless understanding mutation s so i would like it all in writing so i can look at it ,to understand it
thanks for any help you can supply....................................................till next time rodney.
Craig52

Hi Rod, mating a cinnamon hen to a normal cock bird will only give split cocks at 50%. No cinn hens and no split hens as can't get a split cinn hen.
If you put a cinn cock to a normal hen you will get cinn hens and normal hens and around 50% split cocks which need to be test mated.
The best mating is with a split cock to a cinn hen which should breed cinn hens,normal hens and cinn cocks and split cinn cocks. Cinn mutation is sex linked recessive.

I understand that the diamond pied is autosomal recessive so once you add pied by either a cock or a hen all young will be split for pied or may even show a little pied by just one feather.
There is a dominant pied where all young will be pied but i'm not sure if this is in diamonds.
Cheers Craig
rodsbirds2

Craig52 wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 21:15 Hi Rod, mating a cinnamon hen to a normal cock bird will only give split cocks at 50%. No cinn hens and no split hens as can't get a split cinn hen.
If you put a cinn cock to a normal hen you will get cinn hens and normal hens and around 50% split cocks which need to be test mated.
The best mating is with a split cock to a cinn hen which should breed cinn hens,normal hens and cinn cocks and split cinn cocks. Cinn mutation is sex linked recessive.

I understand that the diamond pied is autosomal recessive so once you add pied by either a cock or a hen all young will be split for pied or may even show a little pied by just one feather.
There is a dominant pied where all young will be pied but i'm not sure if this is in diamonds.
Cheers Craig
thank you craig this helps heaps, now all i have to do is find some for sale............................................thanks rod
Alf63

Would have thought being sex linked a Cinnamon cock to normal hen would produce only Cinnamon hens and split cocks. Usefully all young would be sexable from the nest

Alf63
arthur

You are spot on Alf . .

And if you apply a monetary value to the theoretical % expectation of offspring, to give a 'dollar value' to all of the various possible pairings . .

That is the best 'pairing' of all . . try it and see

With the added bonus as you point out, that they are sexable from the beginning
arthur

Point of clarification . .

I am talking about % return on outlay . .

Obviously Cinnamon X Cinnamon ---> 100% Cinnamon

Return to “Mutation Finches”