Gouldian Hereditary and Fertility

Includes Species Profile.
Boma

The book "A Guide to Gouldian Finches and their mutations" says that "Fertility is known to be a hereditary characteristic passed down the cock line". Is this correct? If so, why does the hen have no influence over the fertility of her chicks?
Craig52

Imo, the hen produces eggs whether they are fertile or not. Take the eggs we buy in the supermarket for example, the hens have laid that egg even though it hasn't been fertilised by a male but it is full with a yolk. A males sperm needs to be present before the egg shell process begins other wise the egg wont be viable. If that makes sense. :geek: ;-) Craig
BrettB

I understand what Craig is saying, but I do not think it answers the question.
Have seen no literature on this point but would be very surprised if it was correct.
There are lots of non sex linked factors that potentially could influence fertility
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does not make sence to me. Obviously any high fertility bird is more likely to pass on their genes just cause they are so fertile, but male or female is not a factor that I can see. Perhaps the impression is lots of eggs got filled and this pairs chicks are also doing lots of egg filling so fertility applies. But a hen cant pass on her fertility if the cock does not fill the eggs, it may look as if she is not doing the same as a fertile cock.
LML
LML
Tiaris

I haven't heard the idea that fertility is genetically linked to the paternal bloodline in any bird species. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I do have serious doubts based on my understanding that fertility is dependent on certain physiological processes occurring in both the male & female parent of any animal. The idea that it is a genetic factor inherited from just one parent (and his ancestors) seems illogical to me without much more evidence than someone simply writing that it is a "known hereditary characteristic".
arthur

Well . .

Infertility can't be passed on :silent:
arthur

blanks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

arthur wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 09:21 Well . .

Infertility can't be passed on :silent:
Very good point Arthur.
If a young bird is reared as the only fertile egg from many clutches attempted by his parents. Is he as the sole fertile progeny of that pair then genetically empowered to pass on high or low fertility?
BrettB

Nice one Arthur

I think we were talking about fertility rather than infertility :P
Infertility is obviously a genetic dead end

Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin

Return to “Gouldian”