Hot day - 4 fledged

Includes Species Profile
davlee

Close on 42 degrees yesterday. I guess they had enough of the hot nest box, despite misters being on all day.

A pair of Mannikins who have there own young almost ready to fledge helped feed them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Had a clutch of 5 out a bit early yesterday too. As long as they can fly, they should fine at this time of year. Not that hot here though - around 30ish most days with a nice breeze at least (actually the mildest xmas/new year here for many years).

Are your's from Pied blood? The clear yellow bill is usually a trait of some/most young pieds. Normals usually have some black in the bill at fledging stage.
Ian Hamilton

He looks like a little tricolour ? A real bonus the parents receiving some help[ from some obliging mannikins.

I had two leave the next yesterday prematurely with the heat too. Hasn't done them any harm though. Hopefully the parents remember to feed any other remaining in the nest !
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had a little ruddy fledge early yesterday. It can't fly yet, but I couldn't put it back into the nest because they've built an impenetrable multi-room fortress.

Hopefully it's being fed.
Tiaris

davlee wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 11:27 ...A pair of Mannikins who have there own young almost ready to fledge helped feed them.
I saw a cock fawn yellow Star feeding one of my RFPF fledglings today too. I think he did it just to shut it up - that squeaking noise would be annoying right in your ear.
davlee

Tiaris wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 11:58 Had a clutch of 5 out a bit early yesterday too. As long as they can fly, they should fine at this time of year. Not that hot here though - around 30ish most days with a nice breeze at least (actually the mildest xmas/new year here for many years).

Are your's from Pied blood? The clear yellow bill is usually a trait of some/most young pieds. Normals usually have some black in the bill at fledging stage.
Hen is a normal. Cock is medium pied.

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”