Aussie yellow breeding with black head Gouldian

Includes Species Profile.
Tommo350

Was just wondering I’ve got a Aussie yellow female that is breeding with a black head green back male . Last year they bred one baby and it turned out a black head green back with the yellow on the beak obviously because the mother is a yellow. Is it possible that they will have any Aussie yellow chicks or would the always be black heads?
Tiaris

For the young bird to have a yellow bill, the yellow-headed gene is coming from both parents so the BH male is split to (carries) the YH gene.
For any of their young to be Aussie yellow, the male would also need to be split to (carry) the Aussie yellow gene. Otherwise all young will be split to Aussie yellow only. Aust yellow splits usually show pale flecks in the head or neck or chin area.
Regarding head colour, some young will be BH, some YH & a small proportion of RH.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the Forum Tommo. Do you have other finches?
LML
LML
Tommo350

Thanks mate no I don’t have any other finches just sold my owl finches and zebras so I only have the gouldians. To much aggression from the gouldians towards the others mate and only have the one aviary.
Tommo350

Thanks for that I have only two Aussie yellows a male and a female and their in the aviary with the other colours and of course they did not pair up together. So what your saying is that if the male does not carry the yellow gene as well then the babies will only always be split to yellow unless I breed the yellows together or with a split to yellow.
Tiaris

Yep. Recessive mutations need the gene from both parents.

Return to “Gouldian”