Qld Star Finch - Pics Please

Includes Species Profile.
Boma

From what I have read, the Qld Star Finch probably does not exist in Australian aviaries. These birds are apparently quite drab in appearance. Does anyone have any pics of these birds that they could up load?
Tiaris

I don't but they have/had very large spots which merged right into the pale belly area. Cocks didn't have very prominent bright head colour like the fawn one in your other post. Belly area was creamy yellow rather than the brighter yellow of subclarescens (WA one). Back was more greyish green than the WA ones too.
Tiaris

I vaguely recollect Danny Brown had pics posted a few years ago on the forum of some birds from the zoo system which resembled QLD Stars. Perhaps search for that.
arthur

Recall likewise . . Perth Zoo from memory . .

Chances of pure Qld Stars in aviaries would be zilch. It's only been in the last 30 or so years that dedicated finch breeders have recognised the value of maintaining (mostly unavailable, away from the 'big aviary') pure sub-species.

Even 'back in the days' the Qld Stars would have been less desirable than their much more brightly coloured WA counterparts

In the wild, their chances of survival would also be remote at best . .

Our fauna 'authorities', used to trot out occasional, dubious and unsubstantiated 'sightings' to correspond with "Threatened Species Day" (September??) . . . but even the rumours seem to have died out

It would be a brave person who claimed to hold Qld subspecies Stars . . and a even braver person who would pay a premium to purchase same

Return to “Star”