New Zebra Finch ID Please

Includes Species Profile.
tom57

Hi All
My name is Tom and I recently purchased 2 Zebra finches. I believe one is called a charcoal mutation and I don't know what mutation the other finch is. Could you please ID both mutations and what sex each one is as I am not sure myself. As I would like to buy partners for both birds so I can breed them.
Thanks very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They look like a pair. Cock on the right, hen on the left. Both rather stripey on the front. If not related try putting them together then out crossing. If related then yes you need to outcross straight away.
LML
LML
tom57

Hey thanks for the info finchbreeder. But looks like both are cock birds as I have finally seen both of them singing. Am I correct that only the cock zebra finch sings.
Thanks again.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looking more closely there could be a little chestnut on the face of the 2nd bird, so you could be right about them both being cocks. Get two normal gray hens for them, then cross their young to each other. Enjoy.
LML
LML
Tiaris

Only cocks have brown flanks too
Username1

They're both 100% cocks, both Charcoals. The lighter one is a fawn Charcoal.

They don't have chestnut cheeks like normal Zebra males, as the Charcoal mutation deletes the cheek patches and white flank spots.

However, sometimes a little bit of orange cheek patch can show (usually a small amount next to the tear stripe). Occasional white spots can sometimes show as well on the flanks.

As Charcoal is a recessive mutation, if you want to breed more of them quickly, pair them up with Charcoal females.
tom57

Well that is some very good info about my birds. Now I know what mutation each bird is I can now look for some hen birds to get. Thanks to all for helping with the ID of my birds. Very much appreciated.

Return to “Zebra”