Keeping Yellow Rump Finches from a greenskin

Includes Species Profile.
elferoz777

I haven't read a great deal on these guys nor are there many that keep them near by.

After success with zebs, gouldians, oriental greenfinches, siskins (red n yellow), parrot finches and goldfinches I thought I would give one of the lesser known (in my area at least) aussies a go. Many will say they had them "years ago" but don't see them a great deal anymore. Im not a fan of what I have seen locally and was sold on them only after getting them freighted in. I think yellow rumps are one of the best and I plan to keep them for years to come and maybe I may add masks to their flight one day, but for now, they are priority 1.

I thought I would just share some things I would have liked to have known when I first got them. I am also sharing my experience so it may be obvious to some or completely silly to others but it has worked for me.

I got my birds from the NT, so they are larger than the ones I have seen in Sydney and are very colourful. they were flown down in juvenile plumage and didn't look that great until the last six months.
With regards to sexing, use DNA, it'll save stress and a good coloured hen looks like a cock. In a colony situation, its hard to use the crowing method.

I have tried feeding live food but there is little to no interest. I have opted for seeding grasses. These guys seem to love them above all else. They are the first on them and they use the green grass stems to make their nests as I found out. I have found these fellows don't have issues in a mixed setting and don't even fight between themselves.

In terms of seed I have been using avigrain blue and it works well. With regards to seeding grasses I think some are better than others but they will take what ever you have. They are the first onto the grass and the last to play with the stems.

Breeding: Someone told me you need to do 2 things, rebrush and then provide heaps of greens after a summer shower. I did this and my birds (just over 12 months old) went to nest straight away. I run them in a colony of 5 pairs.
I have noticed they will build from scratch or renovate an abandoned nest. Mine reinforced it and patched one up with the spiky tea tree. You cannot see in it and it is massive. They build the biggest nests I have seen except for diamonds. They are coated in the fresh tea tree and seeding grass stems.

I am yet to reach the stage of young however I am able to candel eggs in one nest and this morning I saw a heap of nice solid white eggs with blood veins meaning if all goes well I will have my first young. Hope this was in someway helpful or at least interesting to some of those out there who want to give these awesome little fellows a go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
elferoz777

bloody pic resizer and the random direction of photos. Sorry guys, tilt heads 90 degrees for some of these.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

Thanks for that. Sounds like you are on the way with them. They are very under-rated bird I reckon.
For a relatively "dull" species I think nothing beats the sight of a group of Yellowrumps feeding and climbing on growing grass heads in sunshine - just beautiful.
You will find they will take livefood readily when young have hatched so don't give up on it as it will improve your numbers bred.
Also don't give up on visual sexing (when coloured up) as mature birds are not that difficult when you focus on the head.
Please do stick with them as they are one of the biggest victims of people jumping in and out of them when they are on or off trend. Our rarest native Munia deserves some stayers. Look forward to an update soon with some fledglings - good luck.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They look good and glad they look like doing the right thing by you.
LML
LML
COUNTRY CAPITAL

good luck with them!!
I still have 6 but they are "mature" by now.
grow millet, Johnson grass or guinea grass in with them and they will love it.
:thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
elferoz777

They have babies now.

Mealies devoured on site followed by seeding grasses.

Their colour looks great.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great to hear.
LML
LML
Tiaris

elferoz777 wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 10:25 They have babies now.

Mealies devoured on site followed by seeding grasses.

Their colour looks great.
That's excellent. They are typically great parents so if you keep up those 2 foods I'm sure they'll do the rest well for you.
elferoz777

Thrown out about 9 from the nest all on the perch. All good looking chicks. Ive just got 1 more to fledge.
Tiaris

Good one.

Return to “Yellow Rumped”