Unusual so bought these

Ajw132

Seller on gumtree was advertising these as African waxbills bought 4 and a pair of ruddies for $50 after reading other posts not sure what I have 2 have whiteish chest and 2 brownish chests
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

They are African Silver Bills, when i had them i did sex by the colour of the breast in adult birds. Cocks do have a light creamy breasts and hens more browny cream.
starman

Tony,
The "African Waxbill" description in the ad would have been referencing the Ruddies ….the Silverbills are African Munia. As Craig says you most likely have two true pairs. I bought two pairs a couple of years ago, but I was convinced after a while that three were cocks and one was a hen.
This became a problem when I stupidly closed their aviary door without latching it. When the wind got up later in the day it opened the door a tad. Two escaped... and yes one of the two was the hen, but the remaining boys get on fine together. They are easily cared for and are pretty hardy, gregarious and good natured little birds. When I come across some hens I will definitely get more. Be sure to provide them with options for roosting nests, as mine go to roost at about 4pm every day during the winter months and not a lot later for the rest of the year.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thought they looked like Munias. Good to see you guys have been able to identify. Good luck with them, and enjoy, Munias are a much underrated bird.
LML
LML

Return to “African Silverbill”