value seed mix?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
matcho

It all sounds well and good with a bit of relief for the growers BUT don't forget that a lot of seed was imported during the dire times and this seed did not have the sprouting ability/percentage of our locally grown seed. This seed has to be sold, that's business and whether prices will go down to prior drought levels remains to be seen. I don't think it will return to those levels but may go down a bit. Just my thoughts

Ken.
vicnorthone

QUALITY...

Is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price.

However, if you can be satisfied with the oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a little cheaper.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Oats Mum feeds her Budgies is grown locally, that helps.
LML
LML
mr skeeter

As a finch breeder i don't expect seed to be cheap but i don't want to be paying exceptional pricing, i know of a few breeders who have given bird breeding away due to high cost of seed, lets hope things improve in the future. cheers mick
E Orix

A few posts back a comment was made that the person hadn't lost any birds while feeding a Super Market seed mix.
Possibly so, but what condition are the birds in and has that had an effect on what birds bred and how big a number
that fledged.
The difference in buying good quality seed and poor quality probably 20 cents a KG and I can't understand why you would
even consider feeding inferior grain.
When the new crops start coming in later this year there is still going to be a reasonable amount of inferior seed either
sold at a lesser price(maybe) or mixed. While I have read over and over about people using AVI Blue after listening to the owner
I am not too sure how good it is mainly due to his opinion about only using good quality seed in their mix.
If you intend to continue using it have a good look at it's quality at least for the next 6.months.
Over a very long period I have purchased seed from basically 2 semi local growers, and I have always purchased Budgie Mix when
possible. The Budgie mix I get is void of black seeds(canola etc) with oats in it and maybe slightly higher % of Canary.
Into this mix I add a large percentage of true Red Pannicum,(not Dakota Red). That is also my soaked seed mix of which I feed a huge
amount of. The ratio would be 65% dry seed mix to 35% soaked and in breeding season it would be nearly 50/50
Don't scrimp on seed quality and quantity.

Return to “Diet & Food”