Maggot breeding dilemma

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Newbiefincher

Hi all I have a dilemma with maggot breeding - I want to start one but simply don’t have a power supply in my shed to maintain it. I was wondering if there are any other alternatives, such as using heating pads and rotating them or a portable battery device you can recommend etc. thanks!
Tiaris

Candle? Hot water bottle? Do it in the house?
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can get a microwavable heat pad (example), but I'm not sure whether it would release enough heat for long enough.
arthur

A 20m heavy duty lead . . about $30 from Bunnies

Problem solved

Check the legalities
Craig52

Seen that before Arthur, strung up from the eaves of a house to the shed roof on a pole and then fed inside. If you do it, make sure you put a semi loop on the lower end to stop water running down and into the shed.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I did think of the extension cord but being an electricians wife did not think I should suggest it. If going that way run it along the ground, no risk of water running along it that way. But the ends must be well inside and away from any rain or watering.
LML
LML
wagga

You can use the 12volt option. Pending the location of your shed in the yard and the amount of full unbroken/direct sunlight the solar panels receive daily, especially in winter, will determine if a 12v system is able to meet your needs.

You will need the following items. A 12v power car battery or a large solar battery. A solar large panel's pending the number of amps that your heating source requires and you must have a light fixture on. During the colder months, the whole setup will need a lot more power and obviously, during the hotter months, the heater will not be on most parts of the day. And the fly box works best when a light source is on 24/7.
Heat can be provided by 12v reptile pads and reptile heater cords/perches. A thermostat to maintain the temperature range of 28 to 30 degrees. Dont make the fly box to large, insulate the box and cover the whole setup with a blanket, for example, will greatly reduce the amount of electricity required.
In saying that, I have 240v power system for my fly box. I use old-style baynet globes to heat the box and as a 24/7 light source. I still use a blanket during winter to save a bit on electricity. My current fly box has 3 globes on 24/7, 2 for heat and 1 for light, with no thermostat. The temperature during winter varies from 18 - 31 C. When summer arrives the fly box will have 2 globes, pending the external temperature variables these globes maintain temps of 27 - 35 C.

I hope this info helps.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.

Return to “Diet & Food”