Fake Xmas trees

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Daviese

Hi all
I have read in this forum about using fake Christie trees for nesting. Just wondering if you cut the trees up and place the branches in the nesting cylinders or do you put the tree in whole just like a tree? Also having difficulty sourcing good grass. I collected some that I thought they would love but they don’t seem that interested. Any ideas for grasses to use around Tamworth area? I have bought swamp grass but again, they aren’t that interested in it.
Rod_L

The following link has information about growing your own grass seeds for finches and other birds to eat. If you grow bird seed (finch mix) in pots, you can put the entire pot into the aviary when the seeds are green and the birds will eat the seeds and pull the bits of grass out to use for their nest. Until you get the grass seeds growing, try any grasses on your property. Birds aren't normally fussy about what grass they use for a nest (at least in my experience). Off them green grass and dry grass, but mainly green so it's still soft and flexible and the birds will eat some and put the rest in the nest. Make sure the grass is at least 6 inches long but no longer than 18 inches.
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=21732&p=188305#p188305

-----------------------------
As for Xmas trees, you can use the entire tree or the branches. Some of the older style trees have separate branches to the trunk and these can simply be pulled out. The new trees have the wire branches attached to the trunk and need to be cut off.

If you do use the entire tree, put some rocks on the stand so it can't fall over.

I have seen a few people use them and they keep the branches on the top half of the tree and remove the lower branches because the birds don't nest in the lower branches. And the lower branches get covered in poop so needs hosing off regularly.
death to all cats & ants
noah.till

A few breeders around a pulling them apart and stuffing them in plastic clothes washing baskets, which you can simply wash off at the end of the season
Make sure they are all well ventilated and away from direct sun
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My birds are currently getting very excited about the couch grass that I have weeded out of the front garden.
LML
LML
Daviese

Thanks everyone. Will give it a go.
Brisbane_Finches_333

What about real christmas trees, could I stuff a brush cylinder full of brush from those? (my family buys live christmas trees instead of fake ones)
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Rod_L

Real Christmas trees are normally conifers and are fine to use and I actually had a few different conifers in my aviary. I also use to go into the bush after storms and bring back big branches that had fallen off gum trees (Eucalypts) and put the entire branch in the aviary. The birds used to go nuts over it.

Some plants sold as Xmas trees by nurseries are safe too. The most common sort is the Albany Wooly Bush (Adenanthos sp) and they are great for finches to nest in.

As a general rule, if the plant does not produce a white sap when you break leaves and stems, it is safe for an aviary. And avoid plants with prickles or spines because the birds can get injured by them.

Gum trees, bottle brush, she-oakes, Albany wooly bush, pine trees, lemon scented conifer, juniper, etc, are all safe for birds.

Avoid Olleanda, Angels trumpet, and anything that is known to be poisonous to people and animals.
death to all cats & ants
Diamondsparrow

These are also great for breeding goldfinches. Just use an open cup nest and fold the fake Christmas tree branches over the top so as to form a dome. Place it up high in the aviary. Wild goldfinches go straight to nest in these and so have had great success.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hanging baskets are also good for nest. Fill with grass and watch them go.
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”