Are Dandelion Leaves poisonous for Gouldians

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
ZODIAC

Hi All, Are Dandelion Leaves poisonous for Gouldians. I ask this because over the last 6 months I have lost a lot of Gouldians mostly young but some older with no apparent course. No deaths of any other breed.
By trial and error I have come up with the conclusion it was Dandelion and at this point am not prepared to sacrifice a bird if somebody out there knows the answer.
Thanks Zodiac :
noah.till

I know a few breeders feeding dandelions plant whole all the time without harm
What other species are being housed and what do you medicate for
If it's young Gouldians, Coccidiosis hits them hard and kills them, do you treat for coccidiosis
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Grove

Dandelions are ok for finches, as long as they are clean... don't give them any if you have picked them from the side of the road .
Isabella
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've been feeding whole dandelion plants that grow in my yard to all my finches for many years without problems. How long have you had Gouldians? Has anything else changed in your setup? Colder winds than usual? Wetter than usual?
LML
LML
Rod_L

Where are you getting the plants from?
You only want to use plants that are from your own property or somewhere that has not been contaminated by anything. If you get plants from public areas, they could have been sprayed with herbicide or be contaminated by any number of things, including exhaust pollution from vehicles.

As a general rule I avoid using plants that produce any sap when you break the leaves or stems. Plants that produce white sap can be poisonous to some birds and animals.

---------------------------
If you lose any more birds, take them to a bird vet and get them to do a necropsy (animal autopsy). This will rule out diseases.

What time of year are you losing the birds?
Gouldians tend to sit out in the open at night and if it is cold or wet, they could get a chill and die. It's a good idea to put fibreglass roofing or Perspex on the roof of aviaries in winter and early spring so the birds can sit out in the open but remain dry.

Make sure there are no cats, owls or rats hanging around the aviary at night because these can cause the birds to panic fly and fly into the wire, cracking their skulls and they are found dead on the aviary floor in the morning.
death to all cats & ants
Justdave

Weeds that have been sprayed look ill and die quickly. It would be evident at picking.
And the chances of picking newly sprayed( within last 24 hrs) weeds over multiple times would be such long odds as to be unlikely.
Craig52

I doubt very much that dandelion leaves are the problem as you said other breeds are not affected by eating it.
Predation is a big problem for young gouldians in particular butcher birds as well as night frights caused by cats/possums and or mice/rats.
As said earlier gouldians need a fully roofed aviary and draught proofed as they will roost out in the open.
I think you need to supply us with aviary conditions before anyone can suggest a real problem with your gouldians.
Are they normal wild type gouldians or mutation coloured ?
Craig
ZODIAC

It would appear that the problem is not Dandelion based on replies and that I pick them from my own yard which is just over an Acre.
I have lost no birds in the last 6 weeks which coincided with me stopping the Dandelions, which must be just a coincidence.
I will attempt to answer every-bodies questions below.
The Aviary is outside, it is fully roofed and there is a closed in section of about 1/3rd where they roost.
I have had Gouldians for 2 breeding seasons with no problems in the first season only the second.
I have not treated for Coccidiosis specifically, but I treat with Avimec twice a year ( the deaths did NOT occur after treatment).
I use no other forms of medication.
The deaths were many and as far as I could tell were during the night and falling straight to the ground within the closed in area.
The birds were in good health the day before. The majority but not exclusively were birds between 6 and 8 weeks old.
Thanks Again
Bjjturk

I’ve feed dandelion all the time to my gouldians, painted and goldfinches . Never had a problem at all
noah.till

Buy a product called "Coccivet"
It is a product by vetafarm that treats coccidiosis very effectively, and is used at a dilution rate of 1.5ml per litre
I would highly recommend to start with the treatment process ASAP with the drug mentioned
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “Diet & Food”