noah.till

We are all struggling here in QLD thats for sure
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Burpengary

Just bought a 20kg bag of Avi Blue from my produce place, $50.
Still has 6 left, got his supply in on Monday.

Errol
Brisbane_Finches_333

Morayfield isn't that far away if it means finch blue...
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
matcho

Was "lucky" enough to score 2 bags of Avigrain Blue Finch Mix last week from a supplier on the Central Coast, up side is not much waste as no oil seeds. Down side is that it doesn't sprout, have had a batch down for 36 hours and not even an inkling of action. Got on the Avigrain site and they advised on the 7/12 that they were importing seed and as a result all imports were being heat treated to get rid of all pathogens rendering it sterile. I suppose now all we can do is just feed "soaked" seed rather than chitted/sprouted unless you are lucky enough to somehow procure local seed. One of their post indicates that there are no crops of sunflower or millets being planted. Things are looking bleak.
noah.till

I managed to find two bags of Finch Blue, $50 each, so I took both and the birds are happy
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Went into local supplier for seed. Being one of their regulars, was imediately advised to look at what had come in. Best mixed finch I have seen in ages, $53/25kgs. Mum and I got a bag each. Would have got more but that was it. Great news was it was WA grown, so hoping this continues.
LML
LML
matcho

finchbreeder wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 11:42 Went into local supplier for seed. Being one of their regulars, was imediately advised to look at what had come in. Best mixed finch I have seen in ages, $53/25kgs. Mum and I got a bag each. Would have got more but that was it. Great news was it was WA grown, so hoping this continues.
LML
Finchbreeder

I would have got 2! You certainly are lucky to have that available and at a good price. The "Blue" was $58 for 20kg. Hopefully some of that may make it across to the east, but I'm not holding my breath!

All the best.

Ken.
Alf63

I have always fed individual seeds, fortunately I buy direct from a grower 10 minutes away. Despite the drought his seed is grown on irrigation so I have good access to White French & Plain Canary. I still have almost two bags of Red Pannicum I stock piled earlier in the year. For the first time my supplier is also giving Red Pannicum a test run which should be harvested around April. All being well I should be able to stock up again in a few months
Kdawg

Managed to buy 2 bags of blue from my supplier just before Xmas. $45 per bag. He had a reasonable amount available.
matcho

The point I am trying to make is that it is all well and good to have the Avi Blue as it is a good seed, in it's original LOCAL form. It, in my opinion, was the best sprouting seed for my purposes. Would go through nearly a kilo a week in sprouted form. Now, however, it appears to be sterile because of the need to use imported seed.

Return to “Diet & Food”