Gender ID issues

Includes Species Profile.
Talven

Given her behaviour you may be right. She seems to have made a nest and is aggressively defending it. The unpaired male attacks her if she comes too close to him. May have to move her on to ornamental bird rather than potential breeder.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How big is the avairy they are in? Maybe she is claustraphobic, or just thinks you have lousy taste in male Gouldians. Birds are not always compatible with the mate we choose for them.
LML
LML
Talven

Probably right about the issues with the other male. They do not get along at all. Probably best if I move them into other cages or sell them on.
Rod_L

Whistle to it and see if it whistles and dances back at you. If it does, then it's a male. If it doesn't whistle back it's female.
death to all cats & ants
Talven

Well I either really suck at whistling or I don't know the right tune to whistle as not a single one of my finches responds. Still I know 100% now it is female given the eggs in her nest.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well at least the gender question is answered. So if she wants to lay but not have anything to do with her available partner,sounds like she thinks he is not to her taste.
LML
LML
Craig52

Hi Talven, you do realize that gouldians or the majority mate in the nest box not on the perch so those eggs could be fertile.
Craig.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now we shall all wait with baited breath to hear if they hatch, and she was just pretending she did not like him.
LML
LML
Talven

Update:- So turns out I got my hens mixed up. The brighter hen had paired with my black headed male which is why she didn't get along with my red headed male. Laid 8 eggs, hatched 6 and tossed all of them out of the nest a week later.

The other hen and the red male have eggs but haven't been very good about sitting them. No chicks as yet but I'm being hopeful.

Thanks everyone for the help.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I persume you have given them three nests so each lady gets a choice? If so, heres hoping they settle down 2nd time round.
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”