puffed up juvie crimson finch

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
karlisa

well the stars are going great and they are still inside in a large cage,threw that food out anyway.both crimsons were from same breeder so i contacted him and told him both had died and he caught one of his birds out of the same aviary that they had come from and long story short the birds had worms even though he had wormed them they probably didnt drink enough of it.he said the worm looked like a mealworm in brown segments and i told him i had seen the same from the first bird.at least i know it was nothing i had done or hadnt done.the breeder was very apologetic and offered me another male which i declined as id already lost enough money from the 2 and wouldnt buy off him again.what sort of worm would that be that looks like a mealworm?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad the Stars are doing well. Re the crimsons, things can happen. If the guy offered a 3rd bird for free when a problem was found then fine. If selling then maybe not.
LML
LML
arthur

Wheat and Milo are 'filler' seeds . . Cheap seeds that allow a product/ mix to be sold at a more attractive price, but are nutritionally questionable . .

I don't know of any intestinal parasite that resembles a mealworm . . but any such would be a huge burden for a finch to carry

It may be a little harsh of you to condemn the seller, when it appears that he has done his best to address, a problem that may or may not be, of his making

Bloods are not birds for the beginner, and perhaps you may be trying to 'fly too high' at your level of experience

No offence intended . .
mr skeeter

i agree with Arthur crimsons stress big time when moving them to new environments a couple days on spark then baycox them for 2 days, if the birds you picked up were half coloured then they were very young birds
Craig52

I'm going to say Tapeworm, as they break off in segments that can look like a mealworm. Regular worming products will not kill tapeworms but worming products with the plus on it will, can't think of the name of that plus is other than prazi something.
Agree, never buy half coloured crimsons due the stress problems as said in the above comments this also applies to any finch including gouldians at this time of the year. I know you can only go by the breeders word that coloured birds are young but it's better to buy them at the full coloured stage and get a few young out of them before they carc it and go from there.
karlisa

as for the breeder i wasnt harsh at all,i know he done what he thought was right but i only declined the bird because i didnt want to keep getting these birds and them dying on me,not buying off him again because im not going for bloods thats all.had bought a young hen from a different person around the same time and she had no issues. i have had many different finches over the years but not bloods,however i researched them and nearly every source said to get them half coloured which i did.anyway there are plenty of other breeds out there i can get, i'll just leave them out.breeder also gave me some moxidectin plus to use.i have no hard feelings toward the breeder at all and he knows that.i thought maybe tapeworm too but anyway ive wormed my new yellow stars and they are going great such perky calm little birds,really liking them.thanks everyone for replying.
Rod_L

Praziquantel treats tapeworm in all animals and is available from most pet shops as a cat and dog tapeworm treatment.
death to all cats & ants
BONE

Have you got finch mix "seed" with them as well?

Return to “Finch Health”