Yellow Bodied Star Mutation.

Includes Species Profile.
deegs

Hi All,
I am keen to get some of these and was wondering if they have the same breeding requirements as the normal star or do they need anything in particular? Also, if thdere is anyone in Adelaide who can supply them, I'd like to know.
Cheers, Deegs.
arthur

They are . . 'Stars' . . with a couple of modified genes . . so husbandry as per 'Stars'

From memory, if you check "search" there is a bit on the genetic aspect

Beautiful birds
Craig52

It's a combination of fawn and cinnamon but the both modes of inheritance in one bird to produce yellow body. Cinnamon is sexlinked and fawn is autosomal recessive so you will need to understand how they work as putting two yellow body birds together can give mixed results but will produce yellow bodies
arthur

YellowBody x YellowBody --> ALL YellowBody
Craig52

True Arthur but it's not recommended as you need to outcross to other yellow body or breed from a split cinnamon split fawn cock to a fawn hen. You can't get a split cinnamon hen but you can get a split fawn hen. You can get a cinnamon hen split fawn which is the way to go to pr to a yellow body star cock. I believe to get better size and quality most breeders are outcrossing to avoid inferior marked and wishy washy yellow birds.
deegs

Thanks Arthur and Craig for the detailed response. Does anyone know where I can get some yellow bodied cocks and a cinnamon hen split fawn?
Cheers.
Craig52

Hi Deegs, can you place a post in "Wanted to Buy" for your birds. There are a few breeders locally to you or around the East coast but freighting may be a problem during this pandemic.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got my pair of yellow bodied stars from Camsal aviaries down at Elizabeth just a few months ago, so there's definitely some breeders in Adelaide somewhere. Probably have better luck finding them in spring though.

I'll keep my eyes open for you.
deegs

Thanks Shane, I’ll put an add up as well.
Cheers.

Return to “Star”