Coconut oil

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Karen

I have read that most finches like the taste of coconut oil and I'm wondering if I put a small blob (while the weather is cool enough to get a blob) in the food containers, if my finches would regulate themselves to eat a sensible amount...?
Or is the only way to mix it in with the seed along the lines of the measurements I have read in a previous post (couple ml to kilo of food)?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never fed my finches anything like that. Maybe because I always thought it was warm enough for this to be unnecessary in the most of Australia.
LML
LML
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was an article floating around a few years back about how coconut oil is "pure poison". I think the statement was based on the extremely high saturated fat content.

I probably wouldn't feed it to finches, and certainly not to those prone to obesity like parrotfinches.
Karen

Ok... My reason for looking into it is that my Gouldian seems to have been constipated.
Any other ideas to help with that would be appreciated.
In terms of fruits or veggies, so far they (one Gouldian and one zebra) only seem to go for kale and silverbeet. I give one or other roughly every second day.
They love grass seed that I collect but one thing I read said they shouldn't have too much of that, could cause digestion problems (whereas something else I read said Gouldians should have plenty of them).
I put Multivet in their water most days.
Other than that, Peckish finch and canary seed.
Thank you
arthur

You can't give too much seeding grass . . That's what they live on in the wild

I am not familiar with 'Peckish' seed mix but many commercial seed mixes, particularly those in supermarkets are 'nutritionally challenged' to be polite . .

Your 'greens' should be fine, but Gouldians and Zebs are dry climate birds and a good seed mix and regular seeding grasses would be adequate . .
Karen

Ok, good to know I can give them plenty of seeding grass, and that the rest is pretty on track, thanks.
Just not sure why he is getting constipated then, or what to do about it...
(Peckish is a commercial mix that I get from a pet shop.)
I told him to drink plenty of water but I think we have a language barrier :lol:
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peckish is a cheap commercial mix made mostly from imported seeds. It's produced by Nature's Best, which is primarily a stockfeed supplier, but (weirdly) also have pretty good side business importing high-end dog clothing and grooming stuff from Britain.
arthur

Shane Gowland wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 00:07 Peckish is a cheap commercial mix
Probably says it all . .
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I find my Gouldians surprisingly adventurous when it comes to trying different foods. Probably because they share with Canaries. Yes I treat them for airsac mite annually and have few problems. Clean water, a reasonable good quality seed mix, heavy on the white millet (as they seem to go for this ahead of everything else) green seeding grasses almost every day. Thistle when in season, and they like the bottlebrush flowers too.
LML
LML
Karen

Where does one get a better quality seed mix that is light on white millet?
I did forget to mention that I mix (high quality) diatomaceous earth with the seed, in the ratio mentioned in an Aussie Finch Forum post. I'm hoping that will naturally deal with all nasties (somebody please correct me if it won't). Now wondering if that could be contributing to the constipation though...
Cod liver oil any good? It's something else I have read for constipation... Sunflower seeds?

Return to “Diet & Food”