Hello All

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
graham.lougheed

Hey,

I am steeping away from what I know as familiar, being Cockatiels, King Quails, Budgerigars, Turquoise Parrots, Zebra Finches and stepping into the colorful world of Gouldian's.

I have been reading and reading, and came across many posts from these forums, googling aviary design ideas, there is so much knowledge here, I had to join, saves on the googling really.

This week has seen me order, 1 x new aviary 3m wide x 1.5m deep x 1.8m high. I have a client who has agreed to build a platform for the new aviary.
After some more posts and more forums, decided to go with the floor in the shelter of Wooden Plastic Composite Interlocking Timber Flooring. a steal on eBay, with free shipping, which is important living regional Victoria.

I had to step out the plans with my wife today, while the aviary itself will be raised, insulated, protected side windows, it will have an attached flight 3m wide x 3.3m deep 2.25m high.

Still undecided if this frame sit on a concrete pad, or bare earth. the back of this aviary will be westerly as to utilize the rear fence of the property as a wind break, I know normally north is best, for sun exposure, health of the birds, there will be a skylight to maximize light inside the enclosure.

So I welcome any and all constructive feedback, and reading more in here.

Plus of the new aviary less lawn to mow ;)

Cheers

Graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I do not see a problem with the avairy facing east, as morning sun is the most important to Gouldians. I would personally go for a natural floor and deep (700mm) foundations and solid wall cladding to the same height. Natural floors are best for finches in my opinion, as long as the rodent proofing is done right. Less grass to remove too, as they will enjoy foraging in it. Enjoy.
LML
LML
graham.lougheed

Thank you, for the reply, I feel a bit better about the direction placement.
They will have access to the natural floor, as that is my plan for the flight, area, which I also plan to plant our with native grasses and shrubs,
I do plan on 600mm trench, installed rodent wire, and backfilled with concrete to be the foundation for the flight, with a colourbond collar
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like you have it pretty much all figured out. :thumbup:
LML
LML
graham.lougheed

Thought I would take the time to update where I am at, open to any and all opinions!

Getting a tree lopper, was a challenge, that I wasn't expecting, one thing after another, but got it in the end.
So secured a welder I could offer my services to, in a the true nature of bartering, I have my first frame, he now is sorted with his computer needs.

My wife refers to it as the bus shelter, i paid the extra to color match it to the house, to minimize her remarks, didn't help lol. the flight frame is under way, it will be 5.4m in length, 2.4m high, 3m wide.

3mm mouse/snake wire top and bottom of frame.

So here's to finishing this in 2021.

So i can start replacing the existing avaires.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good to see you have been able to get some things done.
Last edited by finchbreeder on 06 Jan 2021, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
LML
shnapper20

hi graham and welcome, You have a very interesting design , looking forward to watching its progress. john
graham.lougheed

Hey All,

Well what feels like forever, with all that has been thrown at us.
Unable to get wire from my normal reseller.
Unable to get the rest of my frame completed in the timely fashion he had hoped, let alone the time then to get it powder coated.
Digging 450mm deep trenches into blue stone gravel is not fun, when it starts at 120mm, felt like I was digging on an abandon railway siding.
Delays in acquiring polycarbonate sheets.
Making 3 massive design flaws, and one OCD error along the way. (feel free to guess i am happy to own up, i can laugh now, but I didn't when I realized.)
I ended up the insulating with foilboard and bracing ply topped of with 6 coats of clear.
Water Connected to aviary, directly to water bowls and baths and misters

A quick Video Walk around via onedrive if your interested.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtrolHcQLNJnuCWN3lb ... X?e=XMHgXx

Then during the final stages of the build Loosing 5 pair of Gouldian's, 3 pair of king quails to rodents in the old aviaries, i almost scrapped the project altogether..

But i had poured too much money and time into a dream an ad on Facebook, found myself 3 pair of Gouldian's and 2 pair of quail, to restart.

Quail have already hatched 5 clutches, added a pair of normal turquoise to complete the aviary.,
The quails 3rd clutch was an astonishing 13 from 13, a PB in 40 odd years of husbandry

Boxes are in and first nest has 7 eggs as of today for my Gouldians.

There are 3 Gouldian playing hide in seek, nipping at the seeding grass heads, in the first photo. totally comfortably to hide there while i walk around cleaning water bowls and topping up seed hoppers.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only thing I notice. Gouldians are happiest will all nests on same level.
Your quail are obviously carrying a mix of mutations. What colours are the parents? As the young seem to include silver, cinnamon and normal. Possibly including a dilute gene from the mix of shades.
LML
graham.lougheed

Thank you LML for the feedback, regarding the nest boxes i do appreciate it.

I was lucky enough to find the budgie boxes online for $2.99ea free freight from NSW if i ordered 10, so i did, and the other boxes are are from a local breeder, so i am experimenting at the moment, with positions, hence the staggered layout with 3 options per pair.

interestingly, thus far the birds have selected ,
Box 6 Middle row left has 7 egss,
Box 4 & 5 Top row right, hens are not quite ready if the black beak is the rule, but both cock birds are feverishly building.

As to the quail, she is a broody hen, i actually think the other hens deposited their eggs under her.
She is the only cinnamon, but there are both silver and normal hens and cocks.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”