What are your 2020 breeding projects?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd dust off this topic format.

What are your 2020 breeding season projects? Let us know if you're trying a new species for the first time, or focusing on a specific mutation
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Still hoping those pesky Double Bars that look scruffy and are going in and out of nests above my head will prove they are doing something productive. Hoping for some success with my new painteds.
And as always playing round with Zeb mutations. The Reds are doing OK, but looking for even better.
LML
LML
noah.till

I'll be just keeping my Black rumped Double bars producing good numbers to start with

In the coming weeks I'll be getting more White bellied (Javan) Munias and Aberdeens to get them going in spring with my current stock which is something I've been excited all year for

I'm hoping to breed from this unusually coloured Bourke I have as well
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
shnapper20

ive setup 2 colonies of double bars , 1 in a large mixed aviary and the other on their own in a 4*2*2.2high aviary. The large aviary bred well last yr. Im hoping to mix them around to keep the genetics good. The original birds were sourced all over the place back when we had sales.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Noah any chance of a pic of the Bourke? Mutations always of interest. And they are forgiven for being hookbills. :silent:
LML
LML
Brisbane_Finches_333

I'm hoping to produce large amounts of Silverbills, Plumheads and Gouldians (off my Split Blues). Hopefully even some of my Cubans which seem to be doing nothing.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
noah.till

finchbreeder wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 20:03 Noah any chance of a pic of the Bourke? Mutations always of interest. And they are forgiven for being hookbills. :silent:
LML
Its nothing flash, I have this normal pair that is split to rosa and something else, and the hen has a big white patch on her head so she is obviously a pied, but the unusual thing is all the pied birds I've ever seen only have white feathers on the wings and tail, never on the head (but thats what I've seen)
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pied is good, and like all pieds, occassionally something different will happen.
Hope you get some young from them.
LML
LML
elferoz777

phaeo canaries, yellow opal mosaics, canary x greenfinch mule, canary x goldfinch mule, canary x yellow siskin mule.

show zebs.....thinking about giving out on the reds after 6 yrs. fertility has gone to sh765t.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
jluna

I'm fixated on longtails for 2020 - just gotta find me some! I have kept them on and off over the years, but with only one aviary, obviously species come and go. I have placed an ad here and am keeping an eye on the closest birdshop. Will continue breeding gouldians, painteds and doublebars.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”