Tossing chicks

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Grove

Hi everyone, I have 2 questions.
So I had my orange/yellow Painted have 4 chicks, 2 hatched first & were quite a bit bigger than the other 2.
The parents tossed the first 2 chicks.. they are first season parents so I'm thinking inexperience, as I have plum heads and Seagreens doing fine.
So I'm wondering if you have opinions on what to do .. What I did is take the chicks inside and warm them up as they were freezing.. and one was a bit bloody .. I gave them some First aid solution with a toothpick .. I kept them for half hour to make sure I had not aspirated them.
Then I put them back in the nest.
I saw the parents back in an hour later.
But big mistake cos they died and also suffocated the 2 that didn't get tossed.
So I feel bad & wondering if i had any other options,. I didn't want to foster them to anyone and I don't have society finches .

So my 2nd question is, do finches push the chicks out or pick up with their beaks and drop..weird question.. but I'm wondering if they push i could put a "catching type tray" under all nests :wtf: so that if anyone else pushes chicks out they would not have injuries from the fall.

Thanks
Isabella
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only ever come accross this with 1st time parents, who don't seem to know what to do. And chuck these "strange little wriggling things" out. They usually go on to do the right thing in subsequent seasons. Can't hurt to up the feeding greens thought, as sometimes this will trigger the correct behaviour.
Good luck.
LML
LML
Grove

Ok yeah ..will do
Isabella
collector_and_buyer

Painteds can be very bad nest builders and sometimes the young fall through or off the nest.Provide them with some paper bark strips around 10cm - 15cm long by 5 - 10cm wide and some thicker short grass so that they can build a good platform and they will get the hang of it.
collector_and_buyer

Painteds can be very bad nest builders and sometimes the young fall through or off the nest.Provide them with some paper bark strips around 10cm - 15cm long by 5 - 10cm wide and some thicker short grass so that they can build a good platform and they will get the hang of it.

Return to “Breeding Finches”