Wild Sightings

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
rip64

A double first for me this morning in Yandoit VIC. wild Diamond & Beautiful Firetails 2 minutes apart while out prospecting ( camera in the car :cry: )
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Isn't it ever the way?
LML
Craig52

That would be a sight to see, in particular the beautiful firetails. Pity you didn't have your camera handy.
Rod_L

Did you have a mobile phone?
You could have recorded it on the phone.

I had a similar experience in 2016 when I was living on the streets in Albany. I was walking along a path near the Bibbulmun Track and saw a group of birds including a willy wagtail, some honey eaters and a red eared firetail finch. They didn't care that I was there and were feeding on the bottlebrush and seeds on the ground. I stood there and watched them for about 15 minutes before some other people came along and the birds took off.

Going back some years I was collecting shrimp for my aquarium. I was about 50 meters out from the beach in waist deep water and saw this shadow moving through the water near the shore. It went up one way and then turned around and came back. It did several laps slowly moving out to sea, where I was standing. Eventually this stingray about 3 feet across the wings stopped in front of me. It was about 2 feet from me and lifted its head out of the water and looked at me for about a minute. I looked back but didn't make any sudden movements. I just stood there and we had a moment before it swam off and continued looking for food.

Nature occasionally surprises me and makes memorable moments :)
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rod - and I guess your luck was out re holding a phone in both those circumstances? Isn't it just the way?
LML

Return to “The Lounge”