Studying finches

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Jessica

Hi, Jess here. Home schooling and bored stiff and decided it was time to move ahead on my dream of owning and breeding finches. But I have a lot to learn so here I am. I bought my first cage 36"x24"x60" but want much wider (at least 5') and many cages, hehehe for many birds but I want them to have room to fly.

I will not get finches if they add to pollution so I'm focused on composting the litter and feeding them all organic. I am willing to work hard and take good care of them. :-)
Rod_L

Hi Jess and welcome to the forum :)

Finches don't pollute the environment and neither does any other bird. People on the other hand :)

Your finches will be able to eat seed and pick at cuttlebone and mineral grit just like nature intended. You can also grow grass seeds for them at home and all Australian finches and parrots love green grass seeds. To grow green grass seed, put some normal bird seed in a pot with some potting mix, and water it. Let it grow and after a few months it will produce green seed heads and you give these to the birds in addition to their normal diet.

--------------------------
Out of curiosity, how long, wide and high is your cage?
You mention 36 inches x 24 inches x 60 inches (3x2x5ft). Is it 3 foot long x 2 foot wide x 5 foot high, or something else?

I ask because birds fly lengthwise more than up and down and a cage that is 3ft high x 2 ft wide x 5 ft long is better than a cage that is 3ft long x 2ft wide x 5 ft high.
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It will depend on the type/s of finches you get if it is best to have a pair or a pair of 2 different types in the cage you mention. All seed husk, left over chewed greens and bird poo can be safely added to worm farms. Natural dirt/sand on the cage floor can be changed and washed regularly if you have 2 lots to swap over. The dirt can be spread out on a flat surface to dry and the nutrient rich washing water used to water the garden.
LML
Jessica

Hello finchbreeder! From reading, it seems society finch, lady gouldian, cordon bleu, owl all get along. But I ADORE mostly the orange weaver and I also really like the java rice finch too. My plan was to start with just a few pairs but deciding will be the most difficult. Also, it will depend upon what is available in my area, I guess.

Good to know the bedding can be added to the worm bins. And wonderful ideas about using the poo-water on the garden! This is the type of recycling I was hoping for. I did not want to put it in my regular garbage! I read some people use dog pee pads and stuff but that has plastic in it and I don't want to put anything in the garbage plus the birds might eat the plastic!

I am so pleased to find you folks. I figured you would know more about finches from real life than any book ever knew. I've been reading and watching YouTube now for a few years. I've spend a few months just deciding what will go IN the first cage, LOL! Natural branches, not those silly dowl perches. I'm looking at fake plants (a few) but I dislike plastic and not sure silk is safe. Real plants would be fine but with school and such, I don't think real plants would be wise and I'd have to be care of the variety. I might invest in two PLASTIC plants; yeah, I know, right? And a good light with timer. Sorry I get so excited. My mind is full of it!

Food - a whole nother subject - egg food, greens. I grow microgreens for my family so adding grass seed will be simple addition. I am worried about feeding them bugs. My mother said if bugs get away from the finches, they'll be lose in the house and she has put her foot down on that one so maybe only meal worms and maybe red wigglers?
Jessica

Rod L, I responded but it disappeared! I will try again.

Cage I bought is 36" wide - flying horizontal. But I am saving for a cage which is 5' horizontal flight because I read finches particularly need flying width. Thank you for responding! I've been reading about finches for several years now (maybe 3). And watching every youtube too. I just purchased a large bath here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZC ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm trying to put everyone OUTSIDE the cage so there is even more room inside, including nests and seed holders also so they can't poop in their food. And using natural perches. I have so many questions - things I read on line but doesn't seem logical. I don't trust everything on line. I far more trust those with known experience such as you all. Such fun!
Brisbane_Finches_333

Jessica wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 00:13 Hello finchbreeder! From reading, it seems society finch, lady gouldian, cordon bleu, owl all get along. But I ADORE mostly the orange weaver and I also really like the java rice finch too. My plan was to start with just a few pairs but deciding will be the most difficult. Also, it will depend upon what is available in my area, I guess.
Weavers are also very high maintenance birds in terms of diet and care during the breeding season, so perhaps start with the Society, Lady Gouldian, Cordon Bleu and Owl Finch first which are very good birds who get along well (although make sure they are not overcrowded - I think only 2 or 3 pairs in the 36"x24"x60" cvage). Then, once you have gained more birdkeeping experience, perhaps consider buying the Orange Weaver."

I also think you should only buy Orange Weavers if you have a large aviary where it can fly freely, as they are extremely active birds. I believe that this quote from Russell Kingston's book the finch sums it up the best:

"Butler, at the end of the nineteenth-century, best summed it up when he states "A weaver-bird in a cage may be very handsome, but it is seen to so little advantage that, with a limited number of large aviaries, it has always appeared to me better to be without them (sic), then to confine it in a cage where it cannot fly around freely"."

Good luck with birdkeeping and welcome to the forum!

Thanks,
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Jessica

Thank you, Aidan! I love Weavers! I'm saving money for a cage which is 5' wide, 18" deep and 65" high. Would that be okay for a Weaver if I only kept a few pairs in that cage? I really love them but I wouldn't want them unhappy. I can't have an aviary - because it is far too cold in the mountains of the Cascades in Oregon. I don't think finches would be happy at all.

I appreciate the support on the other varieties! That helps me decide!
Brisbane_Finches_333

Jessica wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 14:10 Thank you, Aidan! I love Weavers! I'm saving money for a cage which is 5' wide, 18" deep and 65" high. Would that be okay for a Weaver if I only kept a few pairs in that cage? I really love them but I wouldn't want them unhappy. I can't have an aviary - because it is far too cold in the mountains of the Cascades in Oregon. I don't think finches would be happy at all.

I appreciate the support on the other varieties! That helps me decide!
I love Weavers as well, and have done a lot of research on them, but I haven't kept them, so perhaps more experienced keepers of Weavers such as E Orix to answer further questions. Perhaps have a look at this forum topic for size of weaver aviaries/cages (being in the Oregon Cascades you might want to have an indoor aviary or one with good heat protection):
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=22987&p=196445&hil ... er#p196445

Thanks,
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have never kept weavers, but from what I have read from our resident expert, I would think if it is too small to be your bedroom it is too small for 1 pair of weavers.
If you like the slightly bigger finches - I would suggest beggining with 1 pair of Javas or 1 pair of societies. I have kept both and they are lovely birds that are easy to manage - do not need live food - love their greens - breed easily once you make sure you have a true pair. These are types that readily accept a box nest on the outside of their cage too.
Yes I have a soft spot for the monochromatic birds.
LML
Jessica

Thank you, LML! For some reason, Java Rice are banned in many states in the U.S. and it makes no sense to me. A friend has a male and I adore him. They aren't banned in Oregon but I can't find any. Both Java and Society, because of your recommendation, have been moved to the top of my list and weavers have dropped down (but not been removed). I may try to kick my mother out of her crafts room and steal it for an aviary! 8-)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”