Red headed parrotfinch x gouldian

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Grautier

Seems that the unruly last year continues into this one in my aviary ... :roll: ... We have quite a rainy (which is gorgeous, the island has turned green) and rather cold winter. As temperatures rarely reach 18C, the now lonely gouldian hen began sleeping in one of the nests. (The male is inside, in a quarantine cage.) In January I was lucky to get a good priced seagreen parrot finch, quite young, and as far as can be told, a female. She joined the gouldian from a beginning, but the gould hen chased her. Now they begun to share the nest during nights... I thought.
But they alternate, during daytime, which means there must be eggs. The gouldian hen has already laid eggs last year, without 'help' from the male then.
The possible conclusions are obvious. In three weeks we'll know more. Because of the wet and cold weather I don't want to make nest inspections.
Are there any records of gouldian x red headed parrotfinch? I've never heard of it. I am not fond of hybridizing deliberately, and I never thought it could happen between these two species.

Now, as it seems possible that the seagreen is a male, I admit I am intrigued to see the offspring. Though, if it happens, it might mean I need to build a second aviary or big cage to keep the hybrids separated. If, that is, there are viable fledgelings.
Tass

There is always a possibility 2 hens and infertile eggs
Had 2 zebra hens mate but they also had access to males so they shared the egg sitting duties like a normal pair and hatched eggs
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gouldians and Parrott finches are rather closely related. So it is possible they could be a "pair" (one of each gender) Or like Tass's Zeb's they could just be "besties" (two of the same gender) who like to be together. Time will tell. Keep us informed.
LML
Grautier

My count tells me day sixteen. They still alternate or both are hidden in the nest. If there were chicks, I should hear them begging and the pair would be busy in and out?
Strange ... !
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some finches are very secretive. There have been occassions of the first sign of chicks the owner has is when they fly the nest. They can sit quietly when you come near and do their feeding when you are not present. Wait and see. After all no reason to disturb them.
LML
Grautier

Just sneaked into the nest with my mobile camera. Not my best pic though. Five eggs, apparently in good shape.
Don't think there is going to hatch anything after all this time. Both 'parents' are still sharing the nest.

As soon as possible I'll get a normal coloured gouldian male for this female. Her beak is nearly all dark now and she eats crunched egg shells every day. I'd like to let her have a breeding success.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good idea. Will make her happy.
LML
Grautier

It is so stunning to watch. As you know, gouldians and redheaded PFs have quite different languages. But these two understand each other obviously. When they change at the nest, there is 'talking' between them. I'd expect that double bars and plum headed finch could do so, as the little trumpet song is similar to the repetitive one of the ph, and the females understand their male's songs and intentions. They behave similarly, too, and even the courtship dance is quite the same. Gouldians and RH PF behave differently.

Even as both have been named Erythrura's once, the high pitched chirping resembles more the Parus caeruleus chirping outside the aviary and indeed they too react to each other. And the way the little seagreen jumps in between the twigs, tail up, looks more like the european robins do. To find that this two in my aviary get along so pretty well, is one reason why watching birds for me is highly addictive !
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have African fire and Double Bar friendships here. They just hang out and talk like they were the same kind, no nest sharing. But come from different continents. So I know what you mean about it being nice that they can get on like mates.
LML
Grautier

Good news: today I bought a young gorgeous looking red headed classic gouldian. In quarantine now but hopefully the female will accept him when they meet.

Meanwhile both friends are still tightly sitting.

Return to “Breeding Finches”