How many birds per m²

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Grautier

Hi,
I know this is a beginners question and I have tried the search on this forum, but it gave me 8000+ hits without direct reference to the question ... Something I must be doing wrong.

My aviary is about 5m x 2,2m and between 2,20 and 2,50 in hight. According to the basic rule of one pair of finches per 0,5m² , this aviary could be home to aprox. 20 pairs. In theory. [Combined info of finch info and a germany based forum]

Would that be correct according to the expertise you have with australian finches?

I never intended to 'fill' my aviary. There are three pairs now, one gouldian, one plum headed finch pair and a seagreen PF.
But I have a unique opportunity to get three pairs of double bars, which are very hard to find over here. With these you never know, more so as they are young and don't sing yet. They could, in the 'worst' scenario, turn out to be all males. (So three new 'pairs' could in future turn out to be six pairs.)
The aviary is fully planted and dry eucalyptus branches in the top - do you think that space would be enough for six potentially pushy lonely birds? I know the owls can be preening cuties, - but also little devils!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The number of birds calculator is fine in theory. But does not allow for the diferent types of birds prefering different parts of the avairy (observe which are low and which are high location users for yourself) Also - as you note - some birds are placid, some are pushy. I have not found my Double Bars to be pushy. With what you have I would get the Double Bars - if they are all males, you can swap in the future perhaps.
Planted is good - make sure there is room for flight where the dry branches are.
LML
Rod_L

It depends on what birds are being kept. You could have 1 pair of crimson finches in your aviary but 2 prs would kill each other. You could have 10 prs of shaft-tail (black heart finch) in there and they would be fine.

Most Australian finches are colony birds and live and breed in groups. Gouldians, double bars (owl finches), shaft tails, chestnut breasted finches and a few others actually do better when kept in groups of 10 or more. For best results, try to keep single species aviaries or keep species that are compatible. Gouldians and shaft tails will live together but the shaft tails will hinder the Gouldians and stop them breeding as well. Double bars should be fine with Gouldians and you might find the Gouldians limit the double bars breeding.

If you grow small species of Eucalyptus, Acacia, Grevillia and bottlebrush in 30-50cm posts, you can prune the plants and make then nice and bushy and the birds can have live plants in the aviary.

Watch the wire size with double bar finches because they are small and can squeeze out little gaps. They also sometimes get their head stuck in the gaps between the wire.
death to all cats & ants
Grautier

So, I finally got two double barred, still young and friendly to the old one I already had ...
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Excellent news. that will make them happy. I have never found Double Bars to be happy in singles or pairs, only in groups of 3 or more. Give them a selection of lengths of grass, 6" to 2ft long and watch them go for it. Add strips of white tissue for more interest.
LML
collector_and_buyer

Be careful.A lot of people look at how many pairs they can have in an aviary and give no thought as to how many will be in there if they successfully breed.It soon becomes overcrowded which can lead to problems unless young are removed quite quickly.Just my opinion,but less is best.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lot of people look at how many pairs they can have in an aviary and give no thought as to how many will be in there if they successfully breed.
This.

If you start with 3 pairs of Gouldians, and each pair produces two clutches of 5 young, you've suddenly got 36 finches in your aviary. Always have wayyyy more space than you think you'll need, because in ~2 months you could have 600% more birds.
Brisbane_Finches_333

I use the 1 square metre per aviary rule and halve that, to give some extra room for young birds. I personally believe that less is more, and having less pairs will result in much better breeding results.

Thanks,
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
BrettB

As mentioned, your mileage will vary depending on species , personality, configuration of your aviary, management practices, etc.
I think it is very wise to start with low densities and increase while watching your birds for signs of interference.
Rod says Double Bars do better in larger groups, but that has not been my experience. In my aviary, the number of young fledged reduces as the number of birds in the aviary increase. Remove some and the success rate picks up again. By success, I am referring to the proportion of nests that fledge young and the number of young fledged / nest. I have never calculated the number of eggs laid / fledged young, but I think it would be higher with Double Bars than most other species. Perhaps I just do not manage them that well.
I have certainly had problems with Gouldian's interfering with my Double Bars. The later do better once the Gouldian's have been removed from the aviary.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Grautier

Thanks to all your advice! I have 10 finches now, and if the owl finches breed again, I'll give the young away. Its very nice to watch little groups of birds and their behaviour and interactions as a group. As far as I can tell, they seem 'happy' as a group. So I'll increase the numbers slowly and swapping birds for healthy bloodlines.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”