getting ready for 2021

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
elferoz777

thought I'd share a pic of the canaries in the finch aviary.

they love the space and sun compared to the breeding cabinets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Craig52

Nice mate
Rod_L

What sort of finches are in there?
I see a white breast Gouldian but what else?

Is the aviary under a tree?
If not, have you thought about insulating the roof to reduce the heat getting to the nest boxes?
You can glue sheets of polystyrene foam to the underside of the tin and put some laminate or plyboard on the foam. I makes it quieter in winter too when it's raining.
death to all cats & ants
elferoz777

Ive got show stock zebras, java finches, bengalese, gouldians and green singers.

My canaries are only vacationing there to get some rest and exercise for the coming breeding season.

Ill then shut the partition and put my show budgies in for the off season.

Its made breeding both new colour canaries and show budgies bearable as its like having one long constant breeding season instead of what used to be chaos. When breeding both budgies and canaries at the same time the bird room was a dump and I would easily go through a carton of eggs every 2 days.

Ill have misters ready to deploy over summer and may opt for a layer of shade cloth. I remove the boxes from the first weekend in December until Australia day for the heat issues alone.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I find a shade cloth about 20/30cms above the avairy works quite well for shading in summer. Plus auto water replentishing. Mums Show budgie breeding season is off to a slow start due to her health and me being the chief care giver for our birds and her. But a few nice birds rung, and hopefully the recent laying will result in more.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”