Hen very thin

Includes Species Profile.
jpandkt08

Hi all,
Just wondering if there is anything in particular I can give my female gouldian who feels quite thin? She is eating, seed along with crushed eggshells and a bit of passwells soft food. She's inside now in a very small cage to preserve energy and keep her quiet and warm. Where can I get antibiotics for her if it's needed, will a pet store sell or must it be the vet?
Rod_L

Don't use anti-biotics unless the bird has a known bacterial infection. Then see a bird vet for the drugs.

Have you dewormed the bird in the last 2 months?
If not, get a deworming medication from any bird or pet shop and treat the bird.

You can hard boil a chicken egg and mix it with some crushed up cornflakes and offer that to the birds each day.

Add a vitamin supplement to their diet every day in cool or cold weather and every couple of days in warm weather.

Make sure they have cuttlebone, mineral grit and a good seed diet consisting of finch mix and blue ribbon canary mix (equal parts). The canary seed has lots of oil seeds that can help in cold weather and when breeding.
death to all cats & ants
Craig52

It could be worms or coccidia if the the bird is going lite. Also you will need to treat all your birds at the same time as this separated bird if it is either of the two.
Moxidectin plus for worms and Baycox for cocci which can be given in the one dose together at 6ml/ltr for moxi and 3ml/ltr all in one litre of water.
jpandkt08

Thanks so much! I haven't wormed for a while so I have started their worming today.
They always have cuttlefish and a grit mix, along with mixed seed and fresh seeding grasses so i feel their diet is quite good. Plus I do add crushed eggshell when I have it but I will try the whole egg.
Thanks again

Rod_L wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 21:08 Don't use anti-biotics unless the bird has a known bacterial infection. Then see a bird vet for the drugs.

Have you dewormed the bird in the last 2 months?
If not, get a deworming medication from any bird or pet shop and treat the bird.

You can hard boil a chicken egg and mix it with some crushed up cornflakes and offer that to the birds each day.

Add a vitamin supplement to their diet every day in cool or cold weather and every couple of days in warm weather.

Make sure they have cuttlebone, mineral grit and a good seed diet consisting of finch mix and blue ribbon canary mix (equal parts). The canary seed has lots of oil seeds that can help in cold weather and when breeding.
jpandkt08

Thanks for your response!
I have started worming today and will treat all my birds, hopefully this is all it is. I have a coccidiosis treatment but I might wait until the worming is done before doing that do you think?

Craig52 wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 20:07 It could be worms or coccidia if the the bird is going lite. Also you will need to treat all your birds at the same time as this separated bird if it is either of the two.
Moxidectin plus for worms and Baycox for cocci which can be given in the one dose together at 6ml/ltr for moxi and 3ml/ltr all in one litre of water.
Craig52

It won't hurt to give both in the one mix as it will take the stress of the birds having to dose twice.

Return to “Gouldian”