Double Bars

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Page0044

Well a update on the double bars after having them for 5 weeks one pair are sitting on eggs
Cheers
Greg
fincher

congrats on them greg. pretty sure 1 of my prs have young. but am wanting my other pr to have young
gomer

I have a few pr sitting too. :D
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
fincher

think the other pr is sitten 2 but dont want to go in the avairy. and really want that pr to have young as the cock bird is Pied so yeh really want them to breed.how come i always get pied birds and there always the very rare ones
gomer

You seem to have alot of pieds Chris :?:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never seen a pied double bar, how about pics. :D
Don't know that I trust the sexing advice of the U tube lady. She seems to think that the fleshyness of the eye ring has something to do with the sex of the dove, while my experience, having had them continuously for 20 yrs is that the fleshyness is related to age.
The brighter the eye ring the more likely to be male, the duller the eye ring the more likely to be female. The fleshyer the eye ring the older, the less fleshy the eyering the younger. And males tend to be more grey while females tend to be more brown.
I have found that male owls tend to be whiter between the bars and females creamer, but as always. The dullest cock and the brightest female have little to seprate them.
"sigh"
LML
LML
fincher

yeh i do seem to have alot of pieds dont i rather pieds than most of the other mutations nd you can not always predict the amount of the pied the youngsters have and its always a challenge
finchebreeder got a pic but not the best but will post soon
simmot

My double bars have not breed yet. I have 3 pair (for about 12 months), so hope I have at least 1 true pair. They are in a mixed collection of gouldians, orange breasts and ruddies all of which have breed this year. Would i be better off putting them in an aviary by themselves and do they have a set time of year they like to breed or will they go to nest anytime.
gomer

If you have six birds together,You have a good chance of having a few prs together.I have six birds together in one avairy.And two are prs as they are nesting.And took a punt on two birds being a pr in another avairy.As they were breed out of the other,and i beleive six birds of the same species is enough in one avairy,which are nesting aswell.
Poohbear UK

I had about a dozen in a flight for years and let them get on with it...swopping birds each year with mates to introduce fresh blood.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”