Fipronil

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Grautier

Hi all! The search just gave only one hit, and that was on ticks.
Perhaps Fipronil is sold under another name in Australia.

I'm wondering if i could use this gel to wet the preferred perches - that would be the one to get the first sun in the morning! - so the birds feet get in contact with it.

Fipronil is sold over here as a wide effect antiparasite for cats, dogs and birds. I have used it just once and applied it directly to the bird. It did work. But catching birds is always a huge panic in the aviary, and I'd like to skip that.

There is no infestation at the moment. I just want to be prepared in case of it.
Thanks!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never heard of it. I use Ivamecden (not sure if that is spelt right) in the drinking water as an all purpose wormer and general louse killer.
LML
Grautier

Ivermectin is a 'political incorrect drug' *******************************************************************************. So getting Ivermectin - either for human or for veterinarian uses - is difficult these days.
But you are right, some treatment through the water could be an alternative. This would affect all birds, while placing a gel on a branch could be more selective.
I don't like preventive chemicals neither for me nor for my animals. This is one reason I'd like to find something else, bevor having to treat the whole aviary.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ivermectin - has been suggested by some people for covid - but not by people of medical repute. Just like some people use horse steroids - also not such a good idea. Both are good for what they are designed for - not people.
LML
BrettB

From the Fipronil fact sheet
" fipronil was found to be highly toxic to some birds" , so I would give it a miss.

As for Ivemectin, its use as a treatment for Covid is just about dead in the water.
Like so many other wonder cures, it has not stood up to scientific scrutiny.
WHO has recommended that it only be use in the context of clinical trials

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really hate to do this; but I've edited Grautier's post to remove reference to Ivermectin's supposed efficacy for COVID treatment.

Last year AFF received a stern letter from the APVMA about recommending moxidectin for off-label use. Have to assume the same applies to ivermectin.
Grautier

Poor Australia.
Then you can ban me too.

I do need air and freedom to live. Liberty of speech makes the difference between democracy and totalitarism.
Please delete my account and my posts.

(Just for the record: I asked for Fipronil.)
mr skeeter

Fipronil is registered for insect control i.e. stem weevil along with other insect pests used in controlling insects in turf i would your it anywhere near my birds
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Grautier - I am sure we would all love you to stay - we on here are all for free speach - but we are all, also, all for doing the legal thing. Sometimes one must compromise to work between the 2.
LML
Craig52

Grautier wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 23:35 Poor Australia.
Then you can ban me too.

I do need air and freedom to live. Liberty of speech makes the difference between democracy and totalitarism.
Please delete my account and my posts.

(Just for the record: I asked for Fipronil.)
Just for your record you were given several reasons not to use it and i believe we don't use Fipronil for our birds here in Australia especially for ticks on birds which is rare here in cage birds.
We also suggested other treatments but unfortunately one has been banned here for Government reasons.
There is a treatment for your aviaries called Coopex a pyrethrin based residual spray that will kill most insects including ticks. Go online and find your countries equivalent to the base ingredient.
No need to be rude.
Craig.

Return to “Finch Health”