Hello to all !!

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
DaveB

After a disastrous 2020 that saw a rat(s) chew through a rotten baseboard and wipe out my Gouldian colony (26 birds slaughtered 😢), I have rebuilt and replanted my aviary ready for restocking in Spring. Looking forward to soaking up the wealth of knowledge from you all - we are very lucky to have this excellent forum to share ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a nice aviary you've setup.

Sorry to hear about the loss of so many birds. Must have been devastating.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you had a lousy experience. Rodents are why I encourage everyone to have tin 600/700mm into the ground and above it, to make the avairies pretty safe. I see you are using the cardboard floorcovering centres. I have used them, and found they work better up and down than horizontal. You need to make a base of thin ply. I found them best with a top and side hole, but can just use with top entry, though not as successful.
LML
elferoz777

rats are c&%$s

concrete floor all the way.

welcome to the forum
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
DaveB

finchbreeder wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 20:46 Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you had a lousy experience. Rodents are why I encourage everyone to have tin 600/700mm into the ground and above it, to make the avairies pretty safe. I see you are using the cardboard floorcovering centres. I have used them, and found they work better up and down than horizontal. You need to make a base of thin ply. I found them best with a top and side hole, but can just use with top entry, though not as successful.
Thanks Finchbreeder - will try the vertical setup. The tubes are actually bamboo (big!!) but same rules apply although the diameter may be too small for a decent clutch.
Have now made a set of gouldian nestboxes with entry "foyer" and hinged lids so will use these for the upcoming breeding season. Finally have a beautiful pair of red heads to begin the journey again. Cheers
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck for this season.
LML
Finch lover

I am a new breader of zebra finches.
Wish u best of luch for the future.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”