Liquid Iodine

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Wesley89

Hi there,

I am reaching out to those who know of a particular product they have used before/currently treating feather health in Liquid Iodine for their birds?

Does Liquid Iodine from a chemist suffice for use in finches? If you could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic ;-)

Wes
Cheers,
Wes
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Passwell Multi-Vite for Birds contains iodine.
ZODIAC

I am using on Zebras & Gouldians, Lugol's solution 2 % USP which is made up of 94% distilled water 4% Potassium iodide & 2% Iodine, purchased from Piping Rock.com. It is NOT Tincture of Iodine. I give the birds 1 drop per 2 litres of drinking water. :D
Craig52

If you are talking about head feather lose in gouldians lack iodine has not been seen as a cause of that condition in fact it is probably a multitude of thoughts for it.
In all cases no matter what you do the feathers will not grow back until the end of the year when they moult out.

In saying that iodine salt lick blocks are available at stock food suppliers and finches love to pick at them when needed throughout the year.
Wesley89

ZODIAC wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 10:49 I am using on Zebras & Gouldians, Lugol's solution 2 % USP which is made up of 94% distilled water 4% Potassium iodide & 2% Iodine, purchased from Piping Rock.com. It is NOT Tincture of Iodine. I give the birds 1 drop per 2 litres of drinking water. :D
I will check this out. Many years ago watching my grandfather look after his birds I remember him using some sort of liquid iodine that was not sold as 'avian use' as such. Some kind of Iodine drop.
Cheers,
Wes
Wesley89

Craig52 wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 11:32 If you are talking about head feather lose in gouldians lack iodine has not been seen as a cause of that condition in fact it is probably a multitude of thoughts for it.
In all cases no matter what you do the feathers will not grow back until the end of the year when they moult out.

In saying that iodine salt lick blocks are available at stock food suppliers and finches love to pick at them when needed throughout the year.
Thank you
Cheers,
Wes

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”