Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Littlewings

Hello all.
The Finches I own are two male Zeebs and 3 canaries. I also keep lovebirds ,Diamond doves, pigeons, a budgie, horses, cat, dog, rabbits and guinea pigs.. They own the place now :)
I've just set up some small indoor aviaries ( 160 L 172 H 120 W) in our spare room that the birds will be moving in to shortly. Hoping it can be a little more organized than the sea of cages I have currently!
Hoping maybe there will be space left in those aviaries to accomodate both my birds and breeding pair. I have never bred birds before but I would love to learn. Could anyone recommend an easy finch to start with for a beginner? I have been keeping birds for 4 years but never bred.
Thanks
Littlewings
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zebs are one of the easiest finches to breed. The avairy size you indicate would work for a breeding pair and 2 more birds of a different type in the same sex. But you need to be sure they are a type that will not Hybridise if doing this. So Birds like Canarys and Zebs are a good mix. Or any cup nester/non cup nester combo. What genders are your canaries? Oh and welcome to the forum.
LML
Littlewings

finchbreeder wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 19:07 What genders are your canaries? Oh and welcome to the forum.
I know I have two males, one it is likely male but I could have mistaken singing for other noise as the bird did not sing very well.
Thankyou for the welcome
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi there and welcome to AFF :)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As canaries in Aust and NZ are generally just coming into breeding condition at this time of year, put a nest in with your canaries, and you will soon find out if the 3rd one is a hen. Because if it is the others will compete for it.
LML
Littlewings

Shane Gowland wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 20:33 Hi there and welcome to AFF :)
Thankyou!
Littlewings

finchbreeder wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 11:29 As canaries in Aust and NZ are generally just coming into breeding condition at this time of year, put a nest in with your canaries, and you will soon find out if the 3rd one is a hen. Because if it is the others will compete for it.
I think I'll try that, thankyou!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”