Reading leg bands, help needed,

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
matcho

I have been looking after a lone longtail finch for a mate of mine for the past couple of months in the aviary with my Gouldians. Everything was going along nicely until this morning when it was found toes up this morning when I went to do the normal daily feed. No obvious injuries or wet vent etc etc. The reason for this post is that it was wearing a metal leg band stamped with the following Numbers/letters 31B42 with the numbers 12 stamped sideways. Can anyone enlighten if there is a specific way to read this and what does it mean?

Ken.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it works like Budgie rings do. Then it is a 2012 hatch. 31B42 would be the breeders code. 31B probably being his or her ID and 42 designating that it was bird 42 for that season. Ring numbers can start at anything though. So the sequence may have started at 01 or 40
LML
matcho

Thanks FB,

Thought that the 12 would be the year because he bought the bird at the Orange Sale about 6 or 7 years ago. Good innings for a finch by my way of thinking. Once again thanks, now it will stop bothering me.

Ken.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

https://www.birdbands.com/legrings/year.html
This tells you a bit more about what colour code is used and how for finches. May be of use.
Has got me thinking I should order a new lot of rings myself and get my records in better order.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”