Orange Breasted dilemma

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Jay Sunny Coast

Hello there! Needing advise on Orange Breasted!
I had 2 cock birds for quite some time without partners in my outdoor aviary with numerous other breeds before acquiring hens for each. After introductions and 2 months elapsed the cock birds were starting to build a nest together and ignoring the hens completely. After separating them into m/f pairs and leaving 1 pair in the aviary and the others out of calling distance for a month now, I’m wondering if it’s safe to reunite them or is it too early? Neither pair seem to have made a noticeable bond with one another! Is there a known time period of separation? Thank you!
BrettB

Hello Jay,

From your other posts I see you have experience with finches and assume you are across the basics (age, sex, etc)
I am familiar with the strategy you are employing, but have not used it. So no idea how long it takes, if ever.

For what it is worth, my take on incompatible partners is that efforts to make them compatible rarely work and are not worth the effort.
With readily available birds like OB's, I would swap out a pair for birds from another source and try again

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Jay Sunny Coast

Thank you Brett, great advise!
Jay Sunny Coast

And just for the record I took the cage and put it in the aviary and immediately there was excitement and reunion with the little boys! Oh well I’ll just keep them no big deal at least they’ll be happy all together!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe at some point their hormones will kick in.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”