Getting the correct amount of minerals

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Littlewings

I have heard some finch keepers add vitamin and mineral powder to their seed. I don't quite recall who or when (maybe it was someone on here?), but it sounded like a good idea to me. Opinions on this method would be appreciated.
They said to mix in a pepper dusting amount of vitamin and mineral powder and cod oil into their seed. 1-2 times a week.
I don't have access to vitamin and mineral powder easily, only stuff to put in the water. But, I do have vitamin and mineral bird bells, which I could buy and powder. Would this work? Or just not the same?
Craig52

There's no real need to feed vitamins and minerals to your birds if you feed a good quality seed and seeding grass heads and good clean fresh water. Calcium is a must though in the way of cuttlebone or cooked chicken egg shells that are heated enough to kill bacteria but not brown or burnt.
Vitamin D3 is also a must which is derived from direct sunshine or administed from synthetically made D3 that is available in combination with calcium.
Littlewings

Craig52 wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 20:47 There's no real need to feed vitamins and minerals to your birds if you feed a good quality seed and seeding grass heads and good clean fresh water. Calcium is a must though in the way of cuttlebone or cooked chicken egg shells that are heated enough to kill bacteria but not brown or burnt.
Vitamin D3 is also a must which is derived from direct sunshine or administed from synthetically made D3 that is available in combination with calcium.
Thankyou, that does make sense. I don't think I will feed it then.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”