Rodents

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
BillyW

Hello
I have a problem with mice burrowing under the mesh of aviary to eat seed on floor. I have set traps and bait outside aviary, three stations, but I continue to find a hole each morning where it has come In over night and then left again by morning. Are there any tips to eradicate these rodents? It will be almost impossible to redo the mesh given its position. Can you put traps inside the aviary safely? Grateful for any tips.
Billy
E Orix

Get some Tomcat red poison blocks.
place one next to the hole(inside the aviary) then place a large plastic ice cream container or similar
over the bait and hole. It works for me
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is the mesh down to ground level? Or does it go accross the ground outside the avairy as well? Or does it go accross the ground inside the avairy as well?
LML
BillyW

Thanks replies. I'll definitely try the Tomcat red poison blocks if I can get them.

The mice proof mesh is a continuation of the main aviary mesh in the ground about 10 cm. I think the mice are burrowing under that to get to the seed that falls to ground. All feeding stations are off the ground.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is what I was trying to work out. Rodent mesh or tin needs to go into the ground 600/700 to be deep enough to stop mice digging under it. As you and I have both now found out the hard way. I just found out sooner than you did.
LML
BrettB

The dilemma over which bait to use.
There is increasing evidence that "second generation" rodent poisons are causing problems for native wildlife, particularly owls
The poisoned rodents can be eaten by owls, and other wildlife, and these long lasting toxins accumulate and eventually cause death.

First generation products, like warfarin and coumatetralyl, are less dangerous as the break down faster so have less time to accumulate to toxic levels.
Unfortunately, they also do not work as well, taking longer to kill the intended rodents.

If you love your native birds as much as your finches, take care with these products.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”