Plumheaded finches

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Gympie birds

Hi all,
I want some advice on what to do , last year I brought two male plumheaded finches from a pet store before it closed down. I had to wait a few months but I was able to find two hens from a breeder, however I was unsure of the age of both lots of birds. The breeder also lost all his males due to coccidous so he thinks. I treated all finches and they seemed to be in good health until winter hit. I lost one hen from either a night fright or the cold unsure which. I did loose the second hen while there was chicks that were in the nest about to fledge. Both chicks have fledge and the male is feeding them. Which is great. My question is , is it common to lose hens of plumheadeds ? I have been looking for more but I can only find some 3 hrs away from me one way. Are they a common bird or are they hard to get ?
Is it worth trying to get more hens or do I get out of them ? Thanks for your advice kind regards Gympie birds
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had several of these drop dead without warning before eventually giving up. Now that they're no longer a permit bird here in SA I might give them another crack, as they're steadily becoming more common. Quite often see them at the local bird dealers.
Gympie birds

I will have a another try I do have young birds that are not related to one of the males so fingers cross I have a hen. So far I have one male. Thanks for your advice Shane I am glad it’s not just me and that they are becoming more common
shnapper20

mine breed like mice
Sapperfinch

Don’t get out of them keep trying once established do well. I started with 2 pair lost both hens & replaced them then lost a male to rats & I think the rats also got the hens. Now I’m fully rodent proof went back to 2 pair & they are going great sold 6 young now have another 4 fully independent & have 10 birds in the 2 aviary’s

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”