New Melb member

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
CapnHector

Hi all. New member from Melbourne. Had finches as a kid, and with some spare time on my hands due lockdown thought I’d get back into it. I’m sure I’ll have questions for the pros so here I am! Only have a townhouse so don’t have space for multiple aviaries etc, but room enough for one so put one together with the ample spare time I’ve had on my hands the last few months. Have 2 pair of Gouldians, a pair of double bars, a pair of shaft tails and a pair of canaries in there. Everyone has been getting along well, and having no dramas with the Melbourne weather, which was my biggest worry at the start to be honest. Anyway - Hi!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Love the little pictures on the front of the aviary; makes it look like a zoo exhibit :)
Craig52

Hi and Welcome to the Forum. Nice little setup you have but here in Melbourne finches need total roof cover as they won't tolerate our weather being exposed. Best way to cover that area and let natural light in would be clear corrugated poly carbonate sheets.
I can guarantee you that your finches will sleep out in the open at night no matter what you do.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum and back into finches. I assume the open side we are looking at is facing east?
LML
CapnHector

Open side actually faces south, which is why I built the front so high - so they can get above the neighbours fence and get some sun in the winter. Clear poly carb is a good idea. Is it as good as direct sun, or does it remove any of the good radiation? Could easily mount some, but should I leave 30cm or so clear to allow direct sunlight?
Craig52

No they will receive direct sun coming through other areas. Usually by having perches placed around the sides and front of the aviary in particular North facing. The clear poly allows heat and light threw but unfortunately reduces UV light. If you feel they are not receiving enough D3 this can be added to their drinking water once a week. It's available in most pet stores as combined with calcium.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some people in colder climates find the addition of cafe curtains in winter to be a good idea. I have not tried it as I live in a warm climate. 14 degrees here now at 9.44AM but it is cloudy so that is coolish.
LML
BrettB

The different polycarbonate sheeting stopped various amounts of heat and light, you will have to check the stats on each type.
Which is best depends on your needs. Many of them do screen out most of the UV, which is required for normal Vit D production.
I opted for one that screened out more heat and let through some UV, as here in Perth heat is a bigger issue that cold.
Craig is more familiar with Melbourne, so I would support his advice.
As mentioned, most birds will seek out the direct sunlight (particularly in the morning), if you provide perches near the sides of the cage they will generally get enough sunlight for adequate Vit D (even with a covered roof)
Never seen any research on finches, but chickens need a little as 15-20 minutes a day of direct sunlight

Cheers
Brett

ps you may find the Longtails are nosey and interfere with the Gouldians when nesting
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Misso

welcome to the forum, can i ask where you got the double bars from as I am after a few pairs.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”