Blood on egg and in feces of Diamond Dove

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Littlewings

I know this is a finch forum, but when I posted on another bird site I kept getting spammed 'VET VET VET' and not offered any help otherwise..
I had a quick look on the rules and couldn't find anything against posting on other species, but if this isn't allowed please take this down.

I have a pair of Diamond doves in my aviary and they have been nesting in a tree for a while, this 'nest' does not have a floor for the egg to sit as they haven't built it, I didn't encourage this nor stop it and just left them alone, I don't have an interest in breeding these birds currently
The hen laid a good healthy egg yesterday, that was smashed on the floor because the lack of nest, but it was healthy. She laid another egg today that
wasn't so good, it was soft shelled and had a small amount of blood on the shell and also what looked like some feces. The hen wasn't the best but not looking the worst, was *slightly* puffed up and had a minor tail bob. One of her droppings didn't look too good, a little bit of blood at the top and some undigested seeds.
Got better this evening, ate her seed well, and have since not seen a bad dropping. Tail bob and puffed-up ness is still there but less obvious.
I know the soft shelled egg was probably my bad on not giving enough calcium which I aware of that and going to add more calcium to her diet.
Just want to know what was likely to cause the blood and if she is fine to recover without assistance or I need to step in.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Questions on other birds welcome - just can't necessarily guarantee a lot of help. Back when I was breeding Diamond doves I did not experience this. So can only guess that the blood was related to the soft shelled egg, as I have seen blood on difficult to lay eggs of other birds. As you say she needs calcium. If it is cool where you are at the moment, taking her indoors for warmth overnight for a couple of nights might help her to recover. This is what I and my mother have always done with mums who are having egg laying problems and seem a little the worse for wear. Good luck with your little lady.
LML
Littlewings

finchbreeder wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 22:16 Questions on other birds welcome - just can't necessarily guarantee a lot of help. Back when I was breeding Diamond doves I did not experience this. So can only guess that the blood was related to the soft shelled egg, as I have seen blood on difficult to lay eggs of other birds. As you say she needs calcium. If it is cool where you are at the moment, taking her indoors for warmth overnight for a couple of nights might help her to recover. This is what I and my mother have always done with mums who are having egg laying problems and seem a little the worse for wear. Good luck with your little lady.
That's what I was assuming too with the blood. Going to the shop to get something to help with the calcium today.
It's very chilly at night around here so I keep them indoors, but the room is not that well insulated, I shut the door which is usually open to the rest of the house which helped the warmth.
I think it's safe to say she's recovered now, no more problematic poops and can't even tell she was sick. Tail bobbing and fluffiness is gone and is fine and active.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good to hear that she is OK
Warmth is the best fall back for any sick or slightly off colour bird, when in doubt.
LML
BrettB

I have no dove experience but will have a stab at this.

Vit D/calcium deft results in soft shelled eggs (which are more difficult to pass), weak musculature and increased risk of egg binding.
The acute treatment is rest and warmth as already suggested.
It can be fatal, but looks like she has survived which is good news.
Correction of the problem requires Vit D (either lots of direct sunlight or supplements) and Calcium. The calcium /phosphate ratio of the source of the calcium is important. Crushed egg shell is better than cuttlebone.
She need to get plenty of flying exercise and avoid breeding for at least 6 months

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin

Return to “Finch Health”